The Student Room Group
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford

"I wanted a career that would make me relevant, I wanted to be where the action was!"

Uzoma Onyema travelled from Nigeria to the University of Bradford to study MSc Applied Artificial Intelligence and Data Analytics, in what he describes as "a mid-life career switch".

This is Uzoma’s story.

Uzoma-Onyema-bright-building.jpg

No maths? No problem
I didn’t have a qualification in AI or a related field, and I’d never worked in tech or with data before, so I knew I needed to go back and educate myself. I was prepared to relocate and found that the University of Bradford offered a conversion programme to people like me who didn’t have any qualifications in AI or data.

The risks and rewards
Studying at Bradford was an absolutely rewarding experience. The modules are carefully chosen and developed; you get to work on valuable practical assignments. The tutors are absolutely amazing, they have an excellent way of imparting knowledge, striking the right balance to meet the needs of some in the class who had tech backgrounds, and people like me who didn’t.

My career journey
I received a lot of support from the Careers team at the University, who signposted me to this role on the job board and helped me prepare for my interview. They gave me a shot of confidence. I’d highly recommend using the Careers services, especially if you are an international student.

Destined for success
I now have a unique set of skills that is high in demand. As well as the technical knowledge, I have also gained vital soft skills that employers are looking for and industry experience that will accelerate my new career.

Any advice?
Dig deeper to broaden your horizons. My advice to anyone starting out in the field is to look for non-obvious insights from your data! It’s like being a detective. Go beyond the surface of your data, that’s what really makes you a great analyst.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending