The Student Room Group

Uni Exeter international students attendance warning

Will Uni of Exeter send you a warning email before they kick you out bc of the poor attendance rate? I am an international student an am skipping 30-35% of the lectures since everything is formative this term and all the lectures are posted on online. I am planning to skip one more tmr but the fact that they can withdraw my visa sponsorship at any time due to low attendance rate suddenly scared me.
No one on TSR is going to be able to answer this for you.

You would be best off attending all your lectures in person to get your attendance rate up. Then if you need to miss a session due to illness you have some flexibility
Any uni can withdraw you for non-attendance. Rather than trying to detmine the minimum that you can get away with and stressing about getting booted out of the country, just go to the lectures.
Bizarre to me that someone would pay International fees and go to all the effort involved in getting a visa and moving to another country only to skip lectures and watch them online instead.
Original post by PQ
Bizarre to me that someone would pay International fees and go to all the effort involved in getting a visa and moving to another country only to skip lectures and watch them online instead.

Half of the students you ask will tell you that unis haven't reverted back to enough f-2-f and are being ripped off, the other half want to reduce the f-2-f content to powerpoint slides.
Original post by Anonymous
Will Uni of Exeter send you a warning email before they kick you out bc of the poor attendance rate? I am an international student an am skipping 30-35% of the lectures since everything is formative this term and all the lectures are posted on online. I am planning to skip one more tmr but the fact that they can withdraw my visa sponsorship at any time due to low attendance rate suddenly scared me.

Hi there,

If you are concerned about your visa sponsorship, I would recommend getting in touch with your personal tutor and they should be able to advise you on the matter, or point you in the direction of someone who can.

If you are able to, I would really recommend attending lectures in person. I understand motivation can be low, and it may be easier to catch up online, but I have generally found that there is a reason lectures are held in person and not online! It offers you a chance to stay actively engaged with your module, ask follow up questions, and get to know the people on your course.

Hopefully this has helped in some way!

Kitty
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
My understanding is students on visas have attendance requirements which not a university imposed one per se, but a requirement from the government placed on the university as your sponsor as part of the terms of the visa. I gather it is also your responsibility as the visa holder to have your attendance documented (not to mention attend the courses). I believe your visa can be cancelled if you fail to meet the requirements including attendance...

That aside more generally, anecdotally in my experience as a home student even (where they aren't legally required to monitor attendance) they will notice. When I stopped attending lectures at one point at Exeter for a month (due to mental health issues) they did actually send someone to my recorded address to do a welfare check...although I was on their radar due to my mental health issues already then.

So yes, you should start attending lectures regularly. I believe you're required to have at least an 80% attendance and if you do not your visa can be revoked.

Exeter have more specific information here: https://www.exeter.ac.uk/students/international/visaconditions/attendanceandengagement/
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Anonymous #1

As someone already pointed out this can only be answered by your department, academic advisor and/or the international students' office or equivalent etc.

That being said it is an extremely bad sign and habit to be skipping lectures be they formative or otherwise and indeed is a possible violation of you visa requirements. Last thing you would want is to be flagged up for violation of your visa-terms as at that point believe me attendance or lack of will be the least of your worries e.g. possible expulsion from your programme, deportation, ban from entering the UK in future etc.

The fact you would have entered the country on a student visa, convincing the authorities you were here to seek a full-time education at said university and you are skipping university lectures and sessions to do "other things" (excluding allowed part-time employment) is also deeply concerning.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending