The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Exeter as a working class minority

I have decided to firm Exeter but I can't help but be put off by all the posh privately educated people. I'm coming from a state school and live on a council estate and fear that I won't be able to make friends as they might be mean once they know my background. I know there's ethnic students but they all seem to come from international and wealthy backgrounds. Can other state students let me know how they find Exeter and if its worth it?
Hi! Glad to hear that you've firmed Exeter - good choice :wink:
This is a common concern amongst a lot of prospective Exeter students and was certainly one of mine last year this time - I come from a working-class background and attended state school and was apprehensive about 'fitting in.' However, I have never had any issues with befriending other students because of this; I have been open about my background and have made plenty of friends not only from state schools, but private schools and international students as well. Though there are plenty of both privately-educated and international students in Exeter, it is nowhere near as us-and-them as it seems and I've found most people to be welcoming.
It might be worth having a look at The 93% Club - this is a society ran by University of Exeter students that aims to bridge the gap between state and private school students at the uni. Membership is free for the year and they run various socials and events where you can meet like-minded people. Whether you're interested in joining them or not, it should give you some reassurance that Exeter is not as posh as it seems!

Hope this helps, good luck for September!
Beth
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by Anonymous
I have decided to firm Exeter but I can't help but be put off by all the posh privately educated people. I'm coming from a state school and live on a council estate and fear that I won't be able to make friends as they might be mean once they know my background. I know there's ethnic students but they all seem to come from international and wealthy backgrounds. Can other state students let me know how they find Exeter and if its worth it?

Please check out this review mate: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7380160&p=98678151#post98678151

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending