The Student Room Group

What has better prospects: A History degree or History and Spanish?

Hi,
I am extremely close to sending off my UCAS form and for a while I have been set on doing a History and Spanish degree (dual). However, I have recently become very worried that this degree will not look as 'good' to employers, or even universities if I pursue a Masters degree afterwards (probably for International Relations, as I want to work for international organisations like UNESCO). I dont know if I should do a straight history or languages degree, rather than dual. I wanted to know how people think my degree will be percieved, and if it is better to pursue one straight degree or continue with my dual. I have already written my personal statement and chosen my uni's ect. so to restart everything would also become quite a problem. Would I have better future prospects in doing just History or just Spanish rather than a dual? I really enjoy Hispanic history and culture, but I also enjoy other aspects of History which is why I wanted to do this degree. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
There are an infinitesimally small number of jobs that are 'must have a degree in History' but plenty where 'must have language skills' is vital. Spanish - and a year abroad - will add enormously to your graduate CV.
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
There are an infinitesimally small number of jobs that are 'must have a degree in History' but plenty where 'must have language skills' is vital. Spanish - and a year abroad - will add enormously to your graduate CV.

So do you think I should do a language degree, like Spanish with another language? Or do you think History and Spanish is alright (this entails a year abroad in spain/latin america)? Thanks for the reply!
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by kqterina
So do you think I should do a language degree, like Spanish with another language? Or do you think History and Spanish is alright (this entails a year abroad in spain/latin america)? Thanks for the reply!

History with Spanish - and study abroad in Latin America?
YES - grab it with both hands!
Reply 4
Go with your heart and do the dual. International relations isn't just about knowing a language and another culture - history will give you a perspective on learning from the lessons of the past, as well as research skills and how to evaluate evidence.
Reply 5
Original post by McGinger
History with Spanish - and study abroad in Latin America?
YES - grab it with both hands!

thank you !
Reply 6
Original post by Artjen
Go with your heart and do the dual. International relations isn't just about knowing a language and another culture - history will give you a perspective on learning from the lessons of the past, as well as research skills and how to evaluate evidence.

thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending