The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE Economic history - 2023

Heyyy, I started this thread because I didnt see any econ history one.

I got in alhamdullilah to the course, but I'm having second thoughts as I want to do pure economics as it helps increase my job prospects and I find it more interesting. Econ history is basically history. I basically applied because of my mum and I thought I wouldnt get in but I did, and now shes forcing me to accept it 😭😭

Has anyone who got accepted or is currently taking it got any advice? I want to go Manchester for econ but it's far away from home and my parents won't allow me. 😵*💫
Not too familiar with this specific course but the LSE brand in general is far stronger than Manchester, and the difference in finance/consultancy is massive. On the LSE website, the mean starting salary for Economic History grads is £35000, which is decent. It's not LSE's best course but employment will be good. Go with whatever you will truly enjoy for 3 years.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
what did you wirte about in your personal statement? i am applying for is cousre tomorrow.
its your life, lse is good uni for the brand but its 3 years of your life. also i have heard that the degree you do isnt that important when it comes to employability the uni you go to has more weight in the employement market. what are your other univeristies?
you could ask lse if you could do economic history and economics to have a mix of both.
on linkenin you can see where graduates end up doing as well as on the lse page there is information about its employbality and the kind of roles.
Original post by Anonymous

I got in alhamdullilah to the course, but I'm having second thoughts as I want to do pure economics as it helps increase my job prospects and I find it more interesting. Econ history is basically history. I basically applied because of my mum and I thought I wouldnt get in but I did, and now shes forcing me to accept it 😭😭

Has anyone who got accepted or is currently taking it got any advice? I want to go Manchester for econ but it's far away from home and my parents won't allow me. 😵*💫

Economics doesn't have any better (or for that matter, different) job prospects than economic history, unless you are specifically applying to the government economic service or the diplomatic service (economics stream), or similar economic policy roles in central banks or NGOs etc. Investment banks don't care if you study economics, economic history, or underwater basket weaving, as long as you go to a target uni and get relevant internships etc.

Hey was wondering what you ended up applying for because I also applied for econ history and lse
Reply 5

hey congrats for getting in!!! I wld def have taken that opportunity u have done amazing, and the job prospects r so good either way since its at LSE
I just wanted to ask if you wrote a lot of history or about the historical context of economics In your personal statement, seeing as you applied to Manchester for Econ too ? im applying to Econ history at lse and then economics straight for the rest of my choices and im worried abt not writing enough history for lse

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending