The Student Room Group

University of St Andrews A101 / ScotGEM 2024 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quantolith
Hi Everyone, I wondered if someone could give me some advice for my application as my application was not competitive this time around. I wondered if someone who was successful could outline for me the work experience they had and what they got in the GAMSAT as I really want to get into this opportunity but just don't know what I am doing wrong!

Hey! So I volunteered for 2 years in my local hospital and tutored alongside my undergraduate degree. Volunteering is good because it provides patient contact, seeing how a MDT and hospital environment functions which is very useful. When it comes to the GAMSAT, there are limited online resources but I signed up to the gold standard question bank and that gave me lots of practise questions. With the GAMSAT it really is all about practise. I hope that helps and PM me if there is anything else you want to know 😊
I feel that I got a good score within my GAMSAT and also Tutored throughout Uni but I also feel that maybe the amount of volunteering I did was not enough as volunteering for 2 years is tons. How did you get into
the volunteering?
Reply 82
I got a reply at around 5:30pm today

Hey , how do you know you weren’t competitive have you received a rejection ? If so I’m sorry to hear that I’m sure you’ll be successful next year !
Original post by Milsom
Hey , how do you know you weren’t competitive have you received a rejection ? If so I’m sorry to hear that I’m sure you’ll be successful next year !
Thanks for being supportive, I did receive a rejection but I want to apply next year just trying to use this as a learning point!
Reply 84
Thanks for being supportive, I did receive a rejection but I want to apply next year just trying to use this as a learning point!

Yes that’s the right attitude keep going and improve for next year , I’d love to give you some advice but I’m not sure if I will get an offer or not this year so don’t want to say my experience incase it isn’t enough either . If I do receive an offer I’ll drop u a pm as I’d be more than happy to help
I feel that I got a good score within my GAMSAT and also Tutored throughout Uni but I also feel that maybe the amount of volunteering I did was not enough as volunteering for 2 years is tons. How did you get into
the volunteering?

That’s amazing well done! I think it’s very important to have relevant experience in a clinical environment as it’s the most obvious form of exposure. I have a volunteer hub at my local hospital and through them I applied, gave them my hours, did a DBS and interview and got the opportunity to volunteer. If you can’t get it at a hospital you could always try an old care home or a GP!
Reply 86
Is anyone else still waiting to hear?
Original post by Shine67
Is anyone else still waiting to hear?

I am, yeah - I know a few others are too, so you're defo not alone
Original post by sugartea
I am, yeah - I know a few others are too, so you're defo not alone

Was fairly anxious myself with many offers out, I received one today at 3 ish and accepted immediately as it's my only choice, I think their system is just give them out slowly over a few weeks so they don't give out too many! Good luck to all still waiting x
Reply 89
Original post by Jarvis64
Was fairly anxious myself with many offers out, I received one today at 3 ish and accepted immediately as it's my only choice, I think their system is just give them out slowly over a few weeks so they don't give out too many! Good luck to all still waiting x

Congratulation!! It was my only choice too, such a relief getting it 😅
Anyone still waiting for a reply for SCOTGEM?
Reply 91
Original post by Shambhavi02
Anyone still waiting for a reply for SCOTGEM?

Yep , I’ve been told they are still processing applications and that they aim to get all offers out by end of March but they do have until may to do so
There is a group for St.Andrews Applicants on Facebook by the way! https://www.facebook.com/groups/917364751804381/
Original post by Milsom
Yep , I’ve been told they are still processing applications and that they aim to get all offers out by end of March but they do have until may to do so

Thank you! I really hope they don’t make us wait till May haha
Reply 94
Thank you! I really hope they don’t make us wait till May haha

Same I really hope that’s not the case and we find out sooner than later , I’m not sure if the process is done alphabetically or random but I hope it’s not too long until we find out
Just got an offer! Update on track x
Reply 96
Just got an offer! Update on track x

Congratulations!!! 🥳
Reply 97
Does anyone know about any group chat for offer holders?
Original post by ana222
Congratulations!!! 🥳

Thank you!!
Reply 99
Original post by ana222
Does anyone know about any group chat for offer holders?

Not sure if there is one specific for scotgem yet, maybe someone could make one!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending