The Student Room Group

Maths & Stats or Actuarial Science!

Hey all...how is everyone?

OK well I have done my UCAS application and got a few replies also.
Here goes:
Actuarial Science - Heriot Watt Uni - ABB (A in Maths)
Maths, Stats & Financial Economics - QMUL - BBB
Maths and Statistics - Lancaster Uni - ABB (A in Maths)
Maths and Statistics - Surrey Uni - ABB (A in Maths)
Actuarial Science - Kent Uni - ABB or AAB (A in Maths)

I most probably want to go into the Actuarial Field or maybe Stockbroking/Investment Banking. Which of these courses would be best and why?

I have no idea which is the better of these courses so any help will be much appreciated.
Reply 1
actuarial maths is difficult to get in so if u can get a place id do that
Reply 2
mjamaly786 , let me give u a slice of my cake . Right , firstly , u wanna go into actuarial but i ve got be blunt with u , u chose wrong universities maybe except for Heriot watt . Anyway , i cant go on to advice u on what u shud have done coz its done already but from the list u ve got , go for actuarial maths at HW . Lancaster is good but then u ve got to hit top top grades to compete for entrance into the fields u ve suggested otherwise ... The record of the other choices mmmm.... let me say is not all that . U may ask why I m saying this . Okey , the best bets would have been Cass and LSE , as they are the best 2 unis for actuarial science in UK respectively and both are excellent for IB or stockbrocking esp LSE on the latter . So , i hope u ve got a picture of where i m coming from but having said that , there are many who went to these unis and made it but things are changing in the financial sector so it boils down to what u obtain in yo degree . Good luck !
Reply 3
tavven
mjamaly786 , let me give u a slice of my cake . Right , firstly , u wanna go into actuarial but i ve got be blunt with u , u chose wrong universities maybe except for Heriot watt . Anyway , i cant go on to advice u on what u shud have done coz its done already but from the list u ve got , go for actuarial maths at HW . Lancaster is good but then u ve got to hit top top grades to compete for entrance into the fields u ve suggested otherwise ... The record of the other choices mmmm.... let me say is not all that . U may ask why I m saying this . Okey , the best bets would have been Cass and LSE , as they are the best 2 unis for actuarial science in UK respectively and both are excellent for IB or stockbrocking esp LSE on the latter . So , i hope u ve got a picture of where i m coming from but having said that , there are many who went to these unis and made it but things are changing in the financial sector so it boils down to what u obtain in yo degree . Good luck !

thank you tavven!
i really do share your views, and given the choice i would have gone to CASS or LSE but they both require AAA whereas i only have ABB!
i know a friend who got into CASS for actuarial science via clearing with grades BBB!!! so i am hoping maybe i can get a place on the actuarial course via clearing, if not then Heriot Watt all the way!
do you not feel that quen mary's is a good choice for maths?
and lancaster is rated the 9th best dept for maths in the UK. would that not be useful?
your reply will be awaited.
thnx :smile:
Reply 4
Well , from the fact that u ve got ABB , yeah Cass & LSE may prove beyond u but even though , Lancaster is good in Maths . The only drawback is its history in the Actuarial Profession . QM , i ve no clue about their maths department and i cannot honestly make a comment on them . Its worthwhile to make further inquiries but u ve got good results and if u have an A in Maths , fingers crossed that Cass goes into clearing u may be okey . The thing is most students who want to go into finnce careers are opting for either IB or Actuarial , so applications for actuarial science places have rocketed recently . Hey , if it doesnt happen with cass , HW is there and Lancaster , try to go for the best u can , 1st or 2:1 , and try 2 gt an intern in yo pltimate year , it will enhence yo chances . U ll be fine .
Reply 5
tavven
Well , from the fact that u ve got ABB , yeah Cass & LSE may prove beyond u but even though , Lancaster is good in Maths . The only drawback is its history in the Actuarial Profession . QM , i ve no clue about their maths department and i cannot honestly make a comment on them . Its worthwhile to make further inquiries but u ve got good results and if u have an A in Maths , fingers crossed that Cass goes into clearing u may be okey . The thing is most students who want to go into finnce careers are opting for either IB or Actuarial , so applications for actuarial science places have rocketed recently . Hey , if it doesnt happen with cass , HW is there and Lancaster , try to go for the best u can , 1st or 2:1 , and try 2 gt an intern in yo pltimate year , it will enhence yo chances . U ll be fine .

yh i kno what u mean.
the number of clearing places is reducing every year, but i guess with my grades maybe i'll have a chance and get into CASS (fingers crossed) otherwise i do have HW!
about the work experience, well heriot watt offer the actuarial science course with a one year industry placement!!! so that could be beneficial.
btw tavven, what are you doing currently and where?
thnx a lot

Latest

Trending

Trending