The Student Room Group

Stuck between courses

I’m stuck between if I want midwifery or psychology for uni right now I’m about to do my end of years and I’m scared of not getting the grades needed but I’m hoping for my predicted to be at least ABB and that is possible for both midwifery and psychology.

Psychology I have had an interest for like the past year or so like just before and I was originally going to do it for uni but then I wasn’t too sure about what I would do after a psychology degree and that I wanted to be a psychologist but I thought the years were too long to do a proper job in it.

And with midwifery it was a became a sudden interest and I have been looking up like stuff about it and I know the hours are really long and you are always on call and can get sued and only 6 weeks holidays in the whole year (the list goes on) so yeah that made me weary of that and if I would be even to get in since it’s a competitive course and my work experience have been revolving around psychology so yeah now I’m really stuck and soon we will decided

If anyone is doing midwifery/psychology can you give me ideas on your experiences and what u think I should do

Thank you!!!
Reply 1
Get some healthcare work experience - it doesnt have to be midwifery, working in a care home would do - and then decide if you want to work in this area.

Or look at careers /courses like mental health nursing, social work, educational psychology etc - https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles
@Tracey_W might be able to answer your queries on midwifery.
6 weeks holiday (including bank holidays) is pretty much the standard for most jobs.
Original post by Lizeeee
I’m stuck between if I want midwifery or psychology for uni right now I’m about to do my end of years and I’m scared of not getting the grades needed but I’m hoping for my predicted to be at least ABB and that is possible for both midwifery and psychology.

Psychology I have had an interest for like the past year or so like just before and I was originally going to do it for uni but then I wasn’t too sure about what I would do after a psychology degree and that I wanted to be a psychologist but I thought the years were too long to do a proper job in it.

And with midwifery it was a became a sudden interest and I have been looking up like stuff about it and I know the hours are really long and you are always on call and can get sued and only 6 weeks holidays in the whole year (the list goes on) so yeah that made me weary of that and if I would be even to get in since it’s a competitive course and my work experience have been revolving around psychology so yeah now I’m really stuck and soon we will decided

If anyone is doing midwifery/psychology can you give me ideas on your experiences and what u think I should do

Thank you!!!

Hey @Lizeeee

How are you? :smile:

I'd recommend attending Open Days and going to both of these subject talks, speak to the academics who would be teaching you and speak to the students on the course for a better insight. If you have a look on the uni's websites you should find open day information. You can also chat to current students directly online by using unibuddy - a good way to find out what it's really like to study that course, and at that university.

Just some tips and advice to consider, think about what truly excites and motivates you.
Research the career opportunities for growth, job satisfaction associated with each field.
Continue to consider work-life balance, so your lifestyle preferences and how they align with the demands of each field.
Can you speak to a career counsellor or mentor to help you navigate the decision making process.

Remember, ultimately, the decision is yours to make. Trust yourself and your instincts. It's important to choose a path that you are passionate about and that aligns with your long-term aspirations.

I wish you the very best of luck with whatever decision you decide to make, good luck :smile:

Becky
Reply 5
Original post by normaw
@Tracey_W might be able to answer your queries on midwifery.

Original post by Lizeeee

Thank you!!!

No I would recommend you only do midwifery if you want to be a midwife as it's a very hard course and you will need to concentrate on this solely as lots of things to learn.

A qualified nurse/midwife gets 27 days holidays per year plus additional holiday for working public holidays and it increases over time.

Hours depending on what type of job you'll do as a qualified midwife as GP practice midwife works 8-6 Monday to Friday with day of plus free weekend
Other midwife in the community work on-call to care for the patient. Similar to ordinary nursing.

Ward based midwife don't work on-call ok
Some contracts are now for both cover for ward based maternity and also community midwifing to cover the staff who are on holiday etc but very rare that you'll be asked to do community work.

I'm fully ward hospital based.

If you are looking for a career in psychology then do that only
Unfortunately I wouldn't recommend trying to do to degrees together especially one as difficult as midwifing.

Any experience you can do in a healthcare setting will be enough but you don't always required any previous experience to become a midwife or a adult nurse as I didn't have any previous experience in any nursing setting but still managed to qualify as a midwife.

Any further information you need you can PM message me when possible to do so and I'll try to assist as best as possible.
Registered NHS midwife.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by Lizeeee

Thank you!!!

Hi!

I am currently studying for my Masters in Social Psychology but completed my undergraduate in psychology last year. I understand how hard it can be to choose between two different subjects, as this was the case for me when I was doing my A levels. While I initially thought the other subject would provide me with clearer job opportunities I chose to study psychology because I found it more interesting! Doing a subject I enjoyed actually helped me later on with decisions about further study or jobs because I was more passionate and motivated to try my best.

Also if you are interested in a career in healthcare, psychology can be useful for that too. Psychology can open the doors for a range of careers such as research, marketing or teaching but also more healthcare focused jobs such as health education, social work, counselling, therapy, mental health support, or clinical psychology!

I hope this helps but if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask :smile:

Best wishes,

Olivia (she/her)
MSc Social Psychology
Original post by Lizeeee

Thank you!!!

@Lizeeee
I have an MSc in Psychology, and train midwives on an access to he program.

In terms of employability, if you do a midwifery degree you are pretty much guaranteed a job, it is a very competitive area if you can get into it. The Midwifery programs at the major Universities in the Manchester are excellent if you are looking for a provider.

The market is saturated with people with degrees and masters in psychology, if you want to become a psychologist in some form you will need to complete doctorate level study, in same clinical or educational psychology. I did a Masters in it as I am 10 years into a teaching career and wanted another subject I could teach on my C.V. If you do a psychology course make sure it is approved by the British Psychological Society (BPS)

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Original post by Lizeeee

Thank you!!!

Hi @Lizeeee!

I've just finished my last year of my Psychology undergraduate degree at Lancaster University, so I can give you some insight into what Psychology can lead to, and some insight on how to choose between two courses.

In terms of careers that stem from psychology, there is a wide range, including some careers that I didn't consider! Because the skills we learn are also highly transferable, psychology graduates are often quite desireable, as we are able to apply our learned skills to lots of different areas. For a list of possible career options, here is the BPS website: BPS Careers

In terms of choosing between two courses, I'd recommend making a pros and cons list about studying the different courses, whether this relates to the course itself, or potential graduate opportunities, experience, etc. Sometimes making this list can make it clear to you if you prefer one of the courses yourself, and can make the differences between them clearer too.

I hope this was helpful!
~ Cathryn (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending