The Student Room Group

Uni Halls trying to charge weeks before move in

Moving back into Halls this year and the 1st rent instalment is due almost two weeks before I am set to move in and also two weeks before the first maintenance loan is set to go out.
I talked to them and all they said I can do is talk to my guarantor to work something out. My guarantor has less money than me so not an option. While I can technically afford the first instalment out of my own pocket, I'd rarther not hand over nearly 2K of my hard earned money even if I'll get it back later in the form of my loan money.

Any suggestions or even thoughts as to if what the accommodation is doing is acceptable?
Reply 1
Original post by GeorgeAlfred
Moving back into Halls this year and the 1st rent instalment is due almost two weeks before I am set to move in and also two weeks before the first maintenance loan is set to go out.
I talked to them and all they said I can do is talk to my guarantor to work something out. My guarantor has less money than me so not an option. While I can technically afford the first instalment out of my own pocket, I'd rarther not hand over nearly 2K of my hard earned money even if I'll get it back later in the form of my loan money.

Any suggestions or even thoughts as to if what the accommodation is doing is acceptable?

I think it would help if you put what University or private accommodation this is so their specific rep can get back to you!

I'm not really sure how it works for where you are but for my uni, we're allowed two weeks to pay it so do they do anything similar to that? Or is there student advice/union advice you can ask for help? :smile: I've never heard of this happening to my or my friend's university accommodation before, unless it's private.

Hopefully, you can sort something out but I've never heard of this before.

Hey there @GeorgeAlfred !
Unfortunately it is pretty common to have to pay your first set of rent before you've even moved in. For every student accommodation I've been in that's been the case. I've known about this though before signing the contract, have you tried looking over yours to see if theres any loopholes or student finance support? If it says in the contract the dates you have to pay the rent on then unfortunately there's not really much you can do if you've already signed the contract. Your landlord will just argue that you knew what the dates were before you signed onto the property. As well as this, a guarantor is supposed to be someone who can pay the rent instalment if you can't so I imagine they'd also just argue that. As you say, you will be getting it back in your student loan anyway so it's not the worst thing in the world.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
@GeorgeAlfred

It's frustrating, but typically contracts start early and normally continue long after a student needs them e.g. finishing in July!

It is what it is : (

You have the time now to prepare, so maybe you can try to save a bit over the summer or look for some summer work.

Have you got a student overdraft? This might help while you wait for the student maintenance loan.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Hi there,
As the other posters have noted, it sounds like it has been stated in your tenancy agreement that your first rent payment is on that date. It's good that you've spoken to your accommodation provider but if they have not been able to be flexible then you will be expected to make the payment on that date.

This is usually the case with accommodations. Some (like us) have later dates for the first rent payment, i.e. after you've moved in and received your maintenance loan. If you've got more years at university ahead, this may be something to keep in mind.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending