The Student Room Group

renting after graduation help

so basically i am finishing my 3rd year of uni and graduating soon i cannot move back home due to overcrowding as my family has had two new babies since i moved out. i currently have 3 part time jobs and in interviews for a full time job and dont live close to my parents. i have put money away to be able to pay a deposit plus a few months rent but i am struggling to find a flat as i have failed the referencing recently for a place because i dont currently havea full time job. i was wondering what i should look into moving forward as i am only allowed to stay in my current shared house till the end of june.
Some letting agents may still allow you to have a guarantor so your parents could guarantee the rent. When I graduated I had the choice between that or using my earnings.

What evidence have you given that’s been turned down? Do they know you have savings? Have you got contracts for each job stipulating your earnings/hours?

Unfortunately it’s likely just a matter of shopping around until someone accepts you :/
Was it definitely the lack of full time work that was the issue? There’s nothing else the referencing check could have found?
Reply 2
all 3 of the part time jobs i hold are 0 hours contracts allthough i accept shifts as much as i can and ive only worked for two of them for the past month and the other for over a year and i have induction at a new full time role at the end of may. my parents cannot guarantor me my uncle may be able to but he already stated he wouldnt want that on his name.
Original post by sophia5892
Some letting agents may still allow you to have a guarantor so your parents could guarantee the rent. When I graduated I had the choice between that or using my earnings.

What evidence have you given that’s been turned down? Do they know you have savings? Have you got contracts for each job stipulating your earnings/hours?

Unfortunately it’s likely just a matter of shopping around until someone accepts you :/
Was it definitely the lack of full time work that was the issue? There’s nothing else the referencing check could have found?
Original post by corruptjez
all 3 of the part time jobs i hold are 0 hours contracts allthough i accept shifts as much as i can and ive only worked for two of them for the past month and the other for over a year and i have induction at a new full time role at the end of may. my parents cannot guarantor me my uncle may be able to but he already stated he wouldnt want that on his name.

try a private house share they might be happier to accept you, or could you offer some rent upfront
Reply 4
i will have around 2000 i could pay upfront but not sure if this is enough for a flat.
Original post by claireestelle
try a private house share they might be happier to accept you, or could you offer some rent upfront
i will have around 2000 i could pay upfront but not sure if this is enough for a flat.

really depends where you live if that would cover a few months.
Reply 6
swansea i find 1 bed flats from around 400-600 but struggling to find one that they will accept me its just a wierd period where i dont have a full time job yet but i will soon
really depends where you live if that would cover a few months.
swansea i find 1 bed flats from around 400-600

yes i recon offering a private landlord six months upfront and then building trust up with them and then you'll get a good landlord reference out of them if you decide to move
Reply 8
i could maybe do 2 or 3 months max pluss the deposit
yes i recon offering a private landlord six months upfront and then building trust up with them and then you'll get a good landlord reference out of them if you decide to move

get in touch with landlords and explain your situation and see where you get

Do you have a contract for the new job? I know it’d be a bit last minute with you only having a month between starting and your tenancy running out, but that might be enough? I used a contract for a new job I was starting to get my current place.

Sorry I can’t be more helpful :/

get in touch with landlords and explain your situation and see where you get
Reply 12
hey did u manage to find a place? i’m currently in a similar situation where no landlords are accepting me because i only work part-time. But just like you were, i’m graduating in June and need to move out of this current house. I tried giving my parents as guarantors but they don’t live in the uk so the landlords don’t accept it, i need help idk what to do

Quick Reply

Latest