The Student Room Group

Failed master and a 2.2 Bsc. is there any chance for phD

Failed my master's last year and have a 2.2 BSc. Currently working in industry. Is there any chance of a Ph.D. in the future?
Reply 1
If it is related to relevant industry experience, then there's something of a chance.

But if it is based solely on academics, very little.
Reply 2
Original post by gjd800
If it is related to relevant industry experience, then there's something of a chance.

But if it is based solely on academics, very little.

yes, I'm working in the relevant industry.
Can you identify why you performed so poorly academically and have you put steps in place to remedy that?
Reply 4
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Can you identify why you performed so poorly academically, and have you put steps in place to remedy that?

I did my PG course in industrial pharmaceutics, and i failed one module about management and leadership, which is totally irrelevant to my field of study. I have 60%+ for the rest of the modules. I have tried to explain to the course coordinator that i was struggling to complete the management module, in which i was not involved in any business related courses. Thankfully, I am currently working in a pharma as formulation chemist, which involves a lot of research and problem solving.
Original post by avav1210
I did my PG course in industrial pharmaceutics, and i failed one module about management and leadership, which is totally irrelevant to my field of study. I have 60%+ for the rest of the modules. I have tried to explain to the course coordinator that i was struggling to complete the management module, in which i was not involved in any business related courses. Thankfully, I am currently working in a pharma as formulation chemist, which involves a lot of research and problem solving.

So failing just one module caused you to fail the whole masters?? Yeah that is harsh.
Reply 6
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
So failing just one module caused you to fail the whole masters?? Yeah that is harsh.

yes, i got pGdip instead of MSC
Reply 7
yes, i got pGdip instead of MSC

That's still something and would still be considered by a lot of institutions. But I think your safest bet would be demonstrable experience in industry over a set period of time, so you're definitely doing things the right way at the moment.
Reply 8
Original post by gjd800
That's still something and would still be considered by a lot of institutions. But I think your safest bet would be demonstrable experience in industry over a set period of time, so you're definitely doing things the right way at the moment.

Yes, I plan to work in the industry for a while(at least 3 more years), maybe i could get patent to support my phd application.
Yes, I plan to work in the industry for a while(at least 3 more years), maybe i could get patent to support my phd application.

Good luck with your application. It'll be a significant step up from your BSc and MSc so ensure you're applying for the right reasons.

Hi @avav1210

I'm a current PhD student in Psychology at the University of Kent so may be able to offer some insight! Whilst I understand it is frustrating to not meet academic entry requirements, they are not always the only thing that's considered for PhD applications. I know some others doing PhDs who did not meet entry requirements but had other relevant industry or research experience which helped their application. So I would say your plan to work in industry should definitely benefit your future application :smile:

Another tip I have though is to boost your academic background, which many universities will be more interested in. For instance, ensuring you have additional research experience post-university which you could use to demonstrate your suitability for a PhD. Or, even just emphasising any research experience you have from your bachelor/master's degrees could help strengthen your application.

If you're not applying to help on a pre-existing project, you could also strengthen your application by making sure that your research proposal is strong and well thought out. For example, consider the potential impact of your proposed work, why you are the most suitable to do this research (leaning on your industry/research experience) and ensure your idea is unique and not in a heavily-researched area.

Hope these additional tips help a little bit & good luck with your future application!

Natalie :smile:
- University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 11
Original post by University of Kent
Hi @avav1210

I'm a current PhD student in Psychology at the University of Kent so may be able to offer some insight! Whilst I understand it is frustrating to not meet academic entry requirements, they are not always the only thing that's considered for PhD applications. I know some others doing PhDs who did not meet entry requirements but had other relevant industry or research experience which helped their application. So I would say your plan to work in industry should definitely benefit your future application :smile:

Another tip I have though is to boost your academic background, which many universities will be more interested in. For instance, ensuring you have additional research experience post-university which you could use to demonstrate your suitability for a PhD. Or, even just emphasising any research experience you have from your bachelor/master's degrees could help strengthen your application.

If you're not applying to help on a pre-existing project, you could also strengthen your application by making sure that your research proposal is strong and well thought out. For example, consider the potential impact of your proposed work, why you are the most suitable to do this research (leaning on your industry/research experience) and ensure your idea is unique and not in a heavily-researched area.

Hope these additional tips help a little bit & good luck with your future application!

Natalie :smile:

Hi Natalie,
Thank you so much for your thoughtful and insightful response! I truly appreciate your perspective and the time you've taken to share your experiences and advice. It's encouraging to hear that academic entry requirements aren't always the sole factor in PhD applications and that industry and research experience can play a significant role in strengthening an application.
Your suggestion to emphasize additional research experience and tailor my proposal to highlight potential impact and uniqueness is invaluable. I'll take your advice to heart as I work on refining my application.
Your encouragement and tips have given me a renewed sense of direction and motivation.

I'm grateful for your support and wish you continued success in your own academic journey as a University of Kent Student Rep.

Warm regards,
Adrian
Hi Natalie,
Thank you so much for your thoughtful and insightful response! I truly appreciate your perspective and the time you've taken to share your experiences and advice. It's encouraging to hear that academic entry requirements aren't always the sole factor in PhD applications and that industry and research experience can play a significant role in strengthening an application.
Your suggestion to emphasize additional research experience and tailor my proposal to highlight potential impact and uniqueness is invaluable. I'll take your advice to heart as I work on refining my application.
Your encouragement and tips have given me a renewed sense of direction and motivation.

I'm grateful for your support and wish you continued success in your own academic journey as a University of Kent Student Rep.

Warm regards,
Adrian

Hi @avav1210

I'm so glad to hear that, thank you so much! :smile:

If you have any further questions about the application process/refining your application, definitely let me know!

Natalie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending