The Student Room Group

URGENT HELP! Suspend my studies or not?

I'm in my third year of uni and I'm feeling mentally exhausted and drained... I want to suspend my studies and finish it off next year but the thing is I don't have any student finance funding left. If I suspend my studies will I be able to get student finance on the basis that I left due to mental health problems ? Thank you for your help
Hi @Partyanimal123

I am sorry to hear that you are struggling.

Firstly, I want to say well done for getting this far. I am currently in my third year too and it is not easy.

I have known a couple of cases where people have applied for an extra year of funding due to extenuating circumstances (mental health being the reason in one case). So it is definitely worth looking into it. I would get in contact with SFE and get some advice on how exactly you can do that.

Also, think about what having a year off would look like for you, do you think you will be ready to come back to education after having a break? Would you feel a bit lost if you were no longer in some sort of education? Or would you work during that time? If you are in your third now you don't actually have long left so before you suspend your studies really think through the pros and cons!

I wish you all the best:smile:

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.
Original post by Partyanimal123
I'm in my third year of uni and I'm feeling mentally exhausted and drained... I want to suspend my studies and finish it off next year but the thing is I don't have any student finance funding left. If I suspend my studies will I be able to get student finance on the basis that I left due to mental health problems ? Thank you for your help

Hi there,

3rd Year can be really hard, well done for getting through uni it can be really difficult!

I think it would be best to seek advice from SFE on this matter, I think some people manage to get funding from a suspended year but I am not sure if their is an eligibility criteria or something.
It may also be worth asking someone at your university, they will likely have experienced this with other students before and will be able to advise.

I hope this helps

Ellen
Y4 Medical Student
Uni of Sunderland
Original post by Partyanimal123

Hi @Partyanimal123 ,

Just to echo a bit of what others have said, well done for making it this far!

Final year can be a lot and very draining. I would also say to seek advice from SFE, your tutors at university and your universities wellbeing service because they will know your situation best and you would be able to get more specific advice.

If you have spoken to others, what have they said? (if you feel comfortable sharing).

All the best and good luck!

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending