The Student Room Group

Student Finance Tuition HELP

hey guys, so I started uni in 2021 and had to repeat in 2022, but I left a quarter through the course due to family issues and mental health decline. so only one semester was paid to the university for that second year. fast forward to now, I've had a career shift and have been offered a place at another university with a completely different degree, only I haven't been approved for any sort of tuition loan, do you think if I explained to sfe about my extenuating circumstances they would fund my degree I want to pursue this September?
any advice would help massively
Original post by sullysullysully
hey guys, so I started uni in 2021 and had to repeat in 2022, but I left a quarter through the course due to family issues and mental health decline. so only one semester was paid to the university for that second year. fast forward to now, I've had a career shift and have been offered a place at another university with a completely different degree, only I haven't been approved for any sort of tuition loan, do you think if I explained to sfe about my extenuating circumstances they would fund my degree I want to pursue this September?

Hi Sully,

Yes, if you send your evidence for the additional year(s) then this will go to be reviewed accordingly for you. I've enclosed further information below and would advise applying as soon as you can for 24/25. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/going-back-to-uni-or-repeating-a-year Thanks, Jason

HI there,

Can you confirm the course you wish to study now? How long is the course?

Thanks,
Claire
Original post by Claire SFE
HI there,
Can you confirm the course you wish to study now? How long is the course?
Thanks,
Claire

its a 3 year degree for popular music performance :smile:
its a 3 year degree for popular music performance :smile:

Hi there,

Every student is entitled to funding for the length of their course plus one additional year, minus any previous study. This means is your new course is 3 years and you have done 2 years previous study, the calculation would be 3+1=4-2=2 years left of finance given in the final years of your new course. This means in first year no Tuition Fees, but you can receive Maintenance Loan and Supplementary Grants if applicable.

If you have Compelling Personal Reasons evidence (CPR) why you didn't complete your previous studies, you can send evidence of this to see if it's possible to get Tuition Fees in year 1. The evidence would be a letter on headed paper signed/stamped and dated from someone in profession i.e. Doctor/lecturer who knows the CPR. The team would review this and confirm if this will be accepted or not.

Thanks,
Claire
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi there,
Every student is entitled to funding for the length of their course plus one additional year, minus any previous study. This means is your new course is 3 years and you have done 2 years previous study, the calculation would be 3+1=4-2=2 years left of finance given in the final years of your new course. This means in first year no Tuition Fees, but you can receive Maintenance Loan and Supplementary Grants if applicable.
If you have Compelling Personal Reasons evidence (CPR) why you didn't complete your previous studies, you can send evidence of this to see if it's possible to get Tuition Fees in year 1. The evidence would be a letter on headed paper signed/stamped and dated from someone in profession i.e. Doctor/lecturer who knows the CPR. The team would review this and confirm if this will be accepted or not.
Thanks,
Claire

Hi, I submitted all the evidence needed and then got a letter from SFE saying that I applied incorrectly. ive been asked to complete a PN1 form?
Hi, I submitted all the evidence needed and then got a letter from SFE saying that I applied incorrectly. ive been asked to complete a PN1 form?

Was your previous application suspended or withdrawn? If the university had withdrawn you then we would need the PN1 form as you'd be assessed as a new student. Thanks, Jason
Original post by SFE Jason
Was your previous application suspended or withdrawn? If the university had withdrawn you then we would need the PN1 form as you'd be assessed as a new student. Thanks, Jason

hi yes when I left my second year it showed as suspended and then last year was a gap year. does this mean sfe have accepted my cpr?
hi yes when I left my second year it showed as suspended and then last year was a gap year. does this mean sfe have accepted my cpr?

Hi there,

When was it you suspended and when did you send us the CPR evidence? Once the evidence is accepted you'll be emailed confirming this. Thanks, Jason
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there,
When was it you suspended and when did you send us the CPR evidence? Once the evidence is accepted you'll be emailed confirming this. Thanks, Jason

I suspended in 2022, I sent CPR evidence a couple weeks ago.
Hi there. Did you upload your CPR evidence online? Have you now sent the PN1 that has been requested? Thanks, Leah.
Original post by Leah SLC
Hi there. Did you upload your CPR evidence online? Have you now sent the PN1 that has been requested? Thanks, Leah.

hi, yes I uploaded the evidence online and Im sending the form off today. do I need to attach evidence with the pn1 form or will the assessors be able to check my online account?
If you have already send the CPR evidence you don't need to send this again. It will be reviewed once we process the PN1 Thanks, Leah.
Hi there,

If you have uploaded the evidence already you would not need to send it again and it will be reviewed with your application. The application can take 6-8 weeks to process.

Thanks, Drew
Original post by Drew SLC
Hi there,
If you have uploaded the evidence already you would not need to send it again and it will be reviewed with your application. The application can take 6-8 weeks to process.
Thanks, Drew

Thanks. also I was granted independent status in 2022, do i have to apply for that again?
Hi there,

If you are under the age of 25 as this is a new course you would need to provide evidence of your independence status again.

Thanks, Drew

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending