The Student Room Group

Core/Recommended Reading

Does anyone actually read all of the core and recommended readings that lecturers provide? I swear if I was to actually dedicate time to all of them there'd be no time to do anything else. :frown: I'm trying to do as much as I can but none of the information is being retained and it feels like it's a waste of time really.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Does anyone actually read all of the core and recommended readings that lecturers provide? I swear if I was to actually dedicate time to all of them there'd be no time to do anything else. :frown: I'm trying to do as much as I can but none of the information is being retained and it feels like it's a waste of time really.

Hi there
It depends, sometimes people will complete the readings, other times they will not. People study at different paces, and use different methods. So developing a work style that works for you is important.

I also find myself struggling with readings sometimes (and I know sometimes it is not possible to do all the readings), but they can provide some useful information that can be helpful in exams and coursework. (but it is for you to determine what sources are useful or not).

Here are a few tips that I found quite useful when reading:

Read the intro and conclusions first, it will give you a brief idea of what it will discuss (if you are short on time, it may also help you identify whether the piece is useful or not).

Highlight the text and make notes- I find this helps me with retaining the information.

Read summaries instead- as a law student I often have to resort to case summaries due to large volumes of reading. Just ensure these are from a trustworthy source- also if it is an important case/ report/ reading, ensure to read it in full instead. (even if you have to come back to it after your seminars)

It is okay to fall behind sometime, make a note of the missed readings, continue with your work as usual and then come back to it during readings weeks or term breaks.

If your friends are happy to, you could split the reading amongst yourself and study the content together. (However, be aware of the risks of plagiarism in coursework if you pass your notes around).

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 2

You might want to seek guidance from your personal tutor, but I'd interpret "core" and "recommended" as being:

Core: essential reading to get a foundation of knowledge in that area

Recommended: further reading if you want a better/deeper knowledge, or if you find the area particularly interesting.

Hi there,

I've found module tutors to be very understanding to students. I'd recommend reading at least half of the seminar readings so you can engage properly and not miss out. For the rest of the core reading, make sure to read as much as you can but be selective with what you read. For example, if they're relevant to your chosen essay questions or to improve understanding. If confused, it would be best to chat with your module tutor.

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Hi, It is useful to try to complete as much or the core readings as possible as they cover everything you need to know for the exam. For the recommended, it's not essential and only necessary if you have time and want to broaden your understanding on the topic. For the core readings, it's worth skim reading and summarising the main points of the readings. It's also useful to read the abstract, intro and conclusion to save time and share your reading notes with friends so you can fill any gaps in your learning. Also don't worry if you can't get through all the material for that week, it's completely normal to fall behind and lecturers are very understanding. Hope this helps!

Z
UG Arabic & IR

Anon,

No, you can't do everything!

There's so much material that can benefit and help with your studies. It's great if you can engage with core and recommended readings, but as you say you have to be realistic with your time and what you can and can't do!

So look at what's helpful (I know in some ways it all is) but look at areas that you need to build your knowledge in or which are core ideas that you need to understand.

Remember that the reading should be helpful in terms of assignments and exams, if it is additional information that you don't necessarily need at the moment, then download or print an article or chapter to read at another time or as a future reference. Focus on what you need to know to complete your assignments and to be exam ready. Remember, it's the assignments and exams you are being marked on, not how much reading you have done (though of course it helps!).

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending