The Student Room Group

Interview questions about books read (maths)

If I mentioned particular mathematics books I've read on my personal statement, will I be asked about them in my uni interview? What sort of questions might they ask?
I understand for other subjects they might ask your opinion of a topic, but for maths is that really applicable.
Original post by jt1284
If I mentioned particular mathematics books I've read on my personal statement, will I be asked about them in my uni interview? What sort of questions might they ask?
I understand for other subjects they might ask your opinion of a topic, but for maths is that really applicable.

Are they actual maths books or popular maths books?
Possibly. Especially if they suspect you haven't actually read them.
Reply 3
Original post by zetamcfc
Are they actual maths books or popular maths books?

I guess popular maths books
Original post by jt1284

Maybe.

What will they ask?
It depends if they are familiar with the book.

If they aren't then they'll be broad questions like:
-Pick a moment from the book that inspired you to choose maths
-Whats it about
-Would you recommend this & why

If they are familiar:
-they may pick out some core philosophies or concepts of the book and ask you to explain them or their implications
-Whatever they feel is relevant tbh...

If you put them on your PS then they are relevant for discussion, if you put an unrelated book down they will be more likely to ask questions imo as they'll want to know why you did.
Original post by jt1284
I guess popular maths books

Just be able to answer general questions like, what part did you find most interesting? Did any part not make much sense to you? What made you interested in the book's topic to start off with? etc.
what are other examples if questions they may ask

Quick Reply

Latest