The Student Room Group

ELQ exemption funding?

I'm currently applying for the BSc Data Science course at the Open University. Course code R38 starting in February.

I already have a DipHE In Economics achieved in 2019 funded by student finance loan.

My questions are
1) Is this Data Science course exempt from ELQ rules so will I get part time funding?
2) When I put the course details into my student finance application (course being 6 years part time and applying for first year funding) it says "Open university have told us your tuition fee this year is £6935. Is this correct?" The actual amount part time is £3462 so should I just correct it to that?
3) Will student finance fund the whole £3462 or will I have to pay a portion myself.
4) If in the future, say I wanted to study full time, can I use the student finance loan to pay half and me pay the other half or will I lose funding if I did that?

Thank you in advance
Original post by E6hdushsidyjw
I'm currently applying for the BSc Data Science course at the Open University. Course code R38 starting in February.

I already have a DipHE In Economics achieved in 2019 funded by student finance loan.

My questions are
1) Is this Data Science course exempt from ELQ rules so will I get part time funding?
2) When I put the course details into my student finance application (course being 6 years part time and applying for first year funding) it says "Open university have told us your tuition fee this year is £6935. Is this correct?" The actual amount part time is £3462 so should I just correct it to that?
3) Will student finance fund the whole £3462 or will I have to pay a portion myself.
4) If in the future, say I wanted to study full time, can I use the student finance loan to pay half and me pay the other half or will I lose funding if I did that?

Thank you in advance

Hi there,

Yes this course is classed as a part time exception course which means you would be eligible for funding. When I have looked at the course details on the database it does say the Open University will ask for £6935 for the Tuition Fee Loan so I would advise you speak to the Open University in regards to the Tuition Fee Loan. We will pay up to the £6935 if that is what they require. If you go to a full time course then it may not be an exception then and then previous study rules would apply.

Thanks, Drew
Reply 2
Original post by Drew SLC
Hi there,

Yes this course is classed as a part time exception course which means you would be eligible for funding. When I have looked at the course details on the database it does say the Open University will ask for £6935 for the Tuition Fee Loan so I would advise you speak to the Open University in regards to the Tuition Fee Loan. We will pay up to the £6935 if that is what they require. If you go to a full time course then it may not be an exception then and then previous study rules would apply.

Thanks, Drew

Thanks

One more question. How do you differentiate between a part time and full time course. If a course has 360 credits in total, so 120 per year if completed in 3 years. Would anything from 30 to 90 credits in an academic year be classed as part time?
Thanks

One more question. How do you differentiate between a part time and full time course. If a course has 360 credits in total, so 120 per year if completed in 3 years. Would anything from 30 to 90 credits in an academic year be classed as part time?

Hi there,

All courses at the Open University are classed as part time even if you are doing full time credits.

Thanks, Drew
Reply 4
Original post by Drew SLC
Hi there,

All courses at the Open University are classed as part time even if you are doing full time credits.

Thanks, Drew

Thanks
Thanks

You're welcome. Have a nice day.

Thanks, Drew

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending