The Student Room Group

TSR official 2024 formula one thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by quasa
Russell is overrated imo. Whilst he won the f2 championship as a rookie, he wasn't a clear favourite with albon, norris and on occasion latifi and de vries looking better. If you compare his season to leclercs, Hamiltons, rosberg, and piastri rookie f2 championships and his looks underwhelming.

I agree re sainz. Imo if max leaves rbr, he should be the prime candidate to replace him (if max leaves, I'd personally like to see Carlos and yuki at rbr as yuki has shown to better than de vries and ricciardo). Lawson to rb with checo is something I can see, or ricciardo and lawson at rbr, with checo returning to Aston to replace nando.

Re checo, Horner confirmed he picked up floor damage fighting alonso but checo didn't notice it as it was only discovered after the race. Personally it makes you wonder about either the age of the floors or qa problems at red bull as max also had floor issues on friday

Russell had more competition though. Piastri was getting pieced up by the 2 year-younger Pourchaire in F3. He was also in a weak F2 field.

He’s also been out-qualifying Hamilton quite regularly. I know you lose a bit of one-lap pace as you get older (i.e see Alonso against Ocon) but clearly Russell is up there and better than Sainz and Norris in my opinion, but below Leclerc.

I don’t see why Mercedes wouldn’t sign Sainz to be honest.
Original post by quasa
Russell is overrated imo. Whilst he won the f2 championship as a rookie, he wasn't a clear favourite with albon, norris and on occasion latifi and de vries looking better. If you compare his season to leclercs, Hamiltons, rosberg, and piastri rookie f2 championships and his looks underwhelming.
I agree re sainz. Imo if max leaves rbr, he should be the prime candidate to replace him (if max leaves, I'd personally like to see Carlos and yuki at rbr as yuki has shown to better than de vries and ricciardo). Lawson to rb with checo is something I can see, or ricciardo and lawson at rbr, with checo returning to Aston to replace nando.
Re checo, Horner confirmed he picked up floor damage fighting alonso but checo didn't notice it as it was only discovered after the race. Personally it makes you wonder about either the age of the floors or qa problems at red bull as max also had floor issues on friday

I must admit that I'd never considered him overrated until last season when Hamilton appeared to push on and Russel could not keep up. While Hamilton is the better driver, the fact he was demotivated and still had the mental edge did make me question if Russel might lack 'something' (could not put the finger on it), it appears that it might be that he doesn't handle pressure very well. That doesn't make him potentially bad of course (Schumi reacted to pressure by trying to take you out and Vettel spun when under pressure but is still one the greatest drivers of all time - he made up for it by being probably the most ruthless driver the sport has ever seen).

Yeah, it's worth remembering that at Torro Rosso, Sainz and Verstappen were normally close even if you gave Max an age edge. I thought they might regret that at the time. They should have offered Sainz a pay rise and a promise. He also beat Norris at McLaren.

If Max leaves then I suspect Horner would want Albon and Ricciardo as he seems to have a personal connection with them but personally I'd keep Perez and bring in Sainz or Tsunoda. I actually think that Tsunoda may be saving Perez for another season to two. Ricciardo gets stuck or dumped, Tsunoda leaves for Aston Martin or stays stuck, Albon probably won't actually get the call and Lawson won't get a Red Bull drive given Gasly/Albon vs Max.

That's good to know, I like Perez so I'll discount that result. It may be that Red Bull are trying to save money.
Original post by Driving_Mad
Russell had more competition though. Piastri was getting pieced up by the 2 year-younger Pourchaire in F3. He was also in a weak F2 field.
He’s also been out-qualifying Hamilton quite regularly. I know you lose a bit of one-lap pace as you get older (i.e see Alonso against Ocon) but clearly Russell is up there and better than Sainz and Norris in my opinion, but below Leclerc.
I don’t see why Mercedes wouldn’t sign Sainz to be honest.

If we believe the rumours then Toto wants Alonso as a stop gap until Antonelli comes of age. Though personally, if I were Alonso I'd probably bet on Aston and pushing for a long contract.
Original post by Rakas21
If we believe the rumours then Toto wants Alonso as a stop gap until Antonelli comes of age. Though personally, if I were Alonso I'd probably bet on Aston and pushing for a long contract.

I’d love to see Alonso go to Mercedes and have Russell as a teammate so I hope that happens. I reckon Antonelli needs a couple of years in F2. I don’t think it’s a terrible idea having Sainz for 2 seasons and then re-evaluating when Antonelli is ready. Sainz is a good team-player and a cheaper option than Alonso.

I reckon Gasly from a few years ago would have been considered but he seems to have slowed down.
Good article from the BBC on the relationship between driver and race engineer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/68597260
Qualifying about to start for the Japanese Grand Prix
Kmag the only one to do a laptime so far
Russell Piastri under investiGtion unsafe release. Russell being the one who is in the wrong
Current drop zone is Gasly, hulkenburg, Sargeant, mags and Zhou
Out are stroll. Gasly, Kmag, Sargeant and stroll.
Current q2 drop zone is yuki, Ocon, Ricciardo, hulk and Albon
Out are Ricciardo, hulkenburg, bottas, Albon ans Ocon
Verstappen takes pole, checo p2, Lando p3
Mix of mediums and softs for the start. Alonso of softs, most around him mediums
Static at the front. Crash at the back, a williaks involved. Red flag. Albon and Ricciardo
With the chassis issues willaims are having this could be a major issue for them.
Sky stay racing incident. More on riccia4do for me. Moved over on Albon. Ricciardo came over on him. Hard to see if Ricciardo had another car on the left, both V-CARBs were poor off the line
Order for restart, when we get it, will be the current race order. Top 9 as they qualify. Then hulkenburg blttas and yuki.

Quick Reply

Latest