The Student Room Group

TSR official 2024 formula one thread

Scroll to see replies

its interesting that charles has signed a long-term contract around same time lewis has ditched a contract to the end of 26 with merc. The new head of mechanical engineering at ferrari was the guy responsible for Merc's very good tyre life / wet weather characteristics. There has also been a rumour going back a few months that vasseur may or may not have gotten Pierre Wache to join ferrari in the future. Also Simone Resta was expected to rejoin ferrari after his stint at haas but he left haas early.

If these engineers all end up joining ferrari, and they actualy dont screw up strategy / operationally, we could see them returning to the pinnacle
(Wache btw is the technical director at red bull / their main designer for the RB18/RB19/RB20). Simone Resta, whilst being Haas' main technical person, was the main designer for the 2017/2018/2019 ferraris
(edited 2 months ago)
Official statement expected 7pm
Original post by quasa
Mclaren just resigned norris and piastri is on. Longterm contract so that's shut. Red bull he doesn't want to go against max.

Ferrari and merc are the only options minus sauber. He's been linked going for a while but decided to stick with merc for whatever reason but I reckon he feels he isn't top dog anymore. What's interesting is the leclerc dynamic, as, no disrespect to georgy boy, leclerc is easily the fastest driver over 1 lap on the grid the last few seasons and is better in all areas vs George. Lewis will be slower in quali I reckon but his race pace will be very good / will be interesting to see how he compares to Charles as leclerc is very inconsistent re tyre wear (either chews them or is great)

Don't you mean antonelli?

Toto has confirmed kimi will be a while before he is in F1 but wouldn't be surprised if he is in merc in 26/27 season.
For now, Albon is the best option imo as he is in williams / vowles and toto will have seen how he is

Top seats available for Carlos will be the merc seat or the Audi seat upcoming. No room at thr inn at McLaren or red bull. Lewis v Charles will be interesting as well

In terms on repqlcmwnt yeah Albon or sainz are the most obvious
Original post by quasa
Mick is driving alpine in wec this year and is loaded so no worries re that. I'd say if he does go back, it will be as albons replacement tbh at williams (my money is on Albon replacing Lewis, alternatively Alonso could go merc). Sainz id also throw in the ring, with yuki and hulk being dark horses (yuki I reckon will go Aston next year tbh or in 26)

Forgot mick existed lol. Yuki will get the Aston drive with the Honda link.
its interesting that charles has signed a long-term contract around same time lewis has ditched a contract to the end of 26 with merc. The new head of mechanical engineering at ferrari was the guy responsible for Merc's very good tyre life / wet weather characteristics. There has also been a rumour going back a few months that vasseur was courting Pierre Wache to join ferrari in the future. Also Simone Resta was expected to rejoin ferrari after his stint at haas but he left haas early.

If these engineers all end up joining ferrari, and they actualy dont screw up strategy / operationally, we could see them returning to the pinnacle. (Wache btw is the technical director at red bull / their main designer for the RB18/RB19/RB20). Simone Resta, whilst being Haas' main technical person, was the main designer for the 2017/2018/2020 ferraris.
Original post by Andrew97
Top seats available for Carlos will be the merc seat or the Audi seat upcoming. No room at thr inn at McLaren or red bull. Lewis v Charles will be interesting as well

In terms on repqlcmwnt yeah Albon or sainz are the most obvious

Forgot mick existed lol. Yuki will get the Aston drive with the Honda link.

you forgot about mick, I just realised I forgot about nando lol
I think the biggest thing Ive taken the last 24 hours is that Corriere del sport actually got something right for once.
Original post by quasa
Ferrari also confirmed it

Sainz has said he will announce his plans in due course.
So back in Abu Dhabi Horner said Hamilton people had approached him and other teams. Turns out he was right,,.
So 2024 will be a battle between Carlos Sainz and Alex Albon to replace Checo Perez at Red Bull in 2025.
Reply 71
So it turns out that Vesaur was Hamilton’s team principal in GP3 and GP2.
Reply 72
Original post by Driving_Mad
So 2024 will be a battle between Carlos Sainz and Alex Albon to replace Checo Perez at Red Bull in 2025.

By most accounts, Horner would prefer Ricciardo to Albon.

Suspect that Sainz will actually go to Mercedes or Audi. While it did not end super badly, Sainz was apparently not on the best terms when Horner passed him over. Albeit I’ve said before that Sainz was actually the last of the great Torro Rosso talents and Red Bill were wrong not keep him in the family.

It’s worth saying that if Alonso gets the Mercedes drive (could well do if they don’t want to risk putting Antonelli - likely given Gasly and Albon at Red Bill have put all top teams off rookies) and Perez gets the Red Bill boot then we could potentially see Tsunoda to Aston and Ricciardo to Red Bull creating two vacancies at Alpha Tauri.

Lawrence will be pretty annoyed if the main loser of all this is Aston getting a mediocre lineup. Albeit given their poaching of Vettel and Alonso it’s worth raising the prospect of Sainz at Aston if Alonso did go.

Worth saying that while all of Twitter expects it to be Alonso, it’s possible that Mercedes do risk Antonelli or write off the constructors and go for a stop gap until Antonelli is ready. Namely Mich or De Vries or Vandorne. Imagine that Mich probably brings a tonne of sponsorship from the name.

Red bull operate in their own little eco system, so it’s ric and yuki v checo there
Haas launch their car and immediately state that they'll be at the back of the grid. It's that patent optimism that makes them so loveable.
Original post by Andrew97
IMG_1582.jpegHaas

I know thats a render but dang does the nose and frotn wing look rubbish (like the show car ), likewise the front wing (also the top pane looks a bit like red bull's).
Side pods look very conservative but one thing i find quite shocking is how small the cannon outlets are

If Pete windsors rumour is true, albon will be replacing checo next year.

What's interesting is that there is a rumour about James Allison's contract with merc. It's written in a weird way but it either implies that merc locked him in because Aston was trying to poach him Or he is staying put because nando is coming in.

Silly season should be fun
Reply 78
Original post by quasa
If Pete windsors rumour is true, albon will be replacing checo next year.

What's interesting is that there is a rumour about James Allison's contract with merc. It's written in a weird way but it either implies that merc locked him in because Aston was trying to poach him Or he is staying put because nando is coming in.

Silly season should be fun

The later would not make much sense unless things happened much earlier than expected and Toto kept it quiet.
Original post by Admit-One
Haas launch their car and immediately state that they'll be at the back of the grid. It's that patent optimism that makes them so loveable.

I was listening to the race podcast the other week, according to them the team is acheiving the goals gene wants it too. More sales for their haas automation parts. Thinking about it from that perspective haas will never perform as they don’t have the drive to do so
Original post by quasa
I know thats a render but dang does the nose and frotn wing look rubbish (like the show car ), likewise the front wing (also the top pane looks a bit like red bull's).
Side pods look very conservative but one thing i find quite shocking is how small the cannon outlets are

Yeah it’s hard to see from a render. Not sure how many actusl cars we will see. Ferrari are nromally good at giving us coverage to be fair

Quick Reply

Latest