The Student Room Group

How much is Second year of Uni worth?

what percentage of 1st and second year worth and last year?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
what percentage of 1st and second year worth and last year?

You'll need to check your course handbook. This varies a lot, even for programmes within the same university.
Reply 2
Original post by martin7
You'll need to check your course handbook. This varies a lot, even for programmes within the same university.

I have checked but could not find it. is there not a usual percentage for first, second and third year?
Reply 3
I have checked but could not find it. is there not a usual percentage for first, second and third year?

Usually the first year doesn't count to the final classification -- you just need to pass it. But I've seen a small number of cases where the first year counts 10%.

There really is no "usual" percentage weighting between second and final years. That said, I think I've seen the following splits in posts on TSR:

20 : 80
25 : 75
1 : 2 (i.e. one-third : two-thirds)
35 : 65
40 : 60
50 : 50

Some universities have multiple ways to calculate the final result. Sometimes there are special rules that apply to people near a classification boundary. Sometimes a university just looks at the best 100 credits in each year. Sometimes the mark is calculated in two ways and the student is awarded whichever calculations works out highest. There are probably other algorithms in use.
Reply 4

Keep checking, or ask your department head. It really does vary as Martin said. No point making plans on a load of guesses or assumptions.

Greg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending