The Student Room Group

workload for sociology year 2 at Manchester Metropolitian University/Uni of Salford ?

Hi, I am an international gap year student who is going to apply to UCAS 2024. I studied Sociology year one at Sussex Uni and now I have to transfer uni. I am considering choosing Sociology year one or year two entry . Does Sociology year two entry at Manchester Metropolitan University consist of a lot of workload? Will it have many 2000-3000 words essays in the first semester?

I am worried about if I can handle it or not because I don’t know whether I can adopt the workload of year two after a gap year and I am a person who is easily panic with a lots of workload. A 2500-3000 words essay is a bit causing pressure to me, if every homework require 3000 word counts , that is gonna killing me. I can still be able to handle two assignments that are 2500-3000 word counts, which means the majority of the assignments will be about 1000-1500 words. But I will die if the majority of year two sociology assignments at MMU needs 2500-3000 words for each semester because I will tend to submit them lately , as it is a bit harsh that I do not have enough time to think about them,planning and finishing them altogether on time in each semester. 1000-1500/2000 words will be more reasonable to me.

Also, how many assignments will it have approximately in year two for each semester? Are the numbers of assignments similar to year one ‘s assignments ? Or the numbers of assignments between year one and two will have a big difference?
what are the types of sociology assignment at MMU? Are they all about coursework essays or they will include other types such as doing portfolio, presentation etc?

Lastly, I would like to also ask the same aboved questions for Uni of Salford. Do the assignments for sociology year 2 at Salford Uni require a lot 2500-3000 words essays for each semester and how many numbers of socioology year 2 assignments for each semester? What types of assignmnets are they? Is the asssignment workload of year two similar / different to year one workload?

To compare MMU and Salford sociology course( combine yr 1 and yr 2), which one will be easier?

Many thanks✨
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Ruby12hty
Hi, I am an international gap year student who is going to apply to UCAS 2024. I studied Sociology year one at Sussex Uni and now I have to transfer uni. I am considering choosing Sociology year one or year two entry . Does Sociology year two entry at Manchester Metropolitan University consist of a lot of workload? Will it have many 2000-3000 words essays in the first semester?

I am worried about if I can handle it or not because I don’t know whether I can adopt the workload of year two after a gap year and I am a person who is easily panic with a lots of workload. A 2500-3000 words essay is a bit causing pressure to me, if every homework require 3000 word counts , that is gonna killing me. I can still be able to handle two assignments that are 2500-3000 word counts, which means the majority of the assignments will be about 1000-1500 words. But I will die if the majority of year two sociology assignments at MMU needs 2500-3000 words for each semester because I will tend to submit them lately , as it is a bit harsh that I do not have enough time to think about them,planning and finishing them altogether on time in each semester. 1000-1500/2000 words will be more reasonable to me.

Also, how many assignments will it have approximately in year two for each semester? Are the numbers of assignments similar to year one ‘s assignments ? Or the numbers of assignments between year one and two will have a big difference?
what are the types of sociology assignment at MMU? Are they all about coursework essays or they will include other types such as doing portfolio, presentation etc?

Lastly, I would like to also ask the same aboved questions for Uni of Salford. Do the assignments for sociology year 2 at Salford Uni require a lot 2500-3000 words essays for each semester and how many numbers of socioology year 2 assignments for each semester? What types of assignmnets are they? Is the asssignment workload of year two similar / different to year one workload?

To compare MMU and Salford sociology course( combine yr 1 and yr 2), which one will be easier?

Many thanks✨

Hi @Ruby12hty

It's great to hear that you're interested in studying Sociology at Manchester Met!

Depending on which modules you take you may be assessed by essay, presentation, group work, in-class test, and other means of assessment. There will typically be 1-2 assignments per module, though usually only one essay.

Realistically, no matter what degree you study or where you study it, you'll have to submit 2500-3000 word essays. A dissertation is around 10,000 words. That being said, Man Met does offer study skills workshops to assist students in areas such as improving time management and how to structure essays, and you can speak with your tutors if you have any concerns.

Hopefully this puts your mind at ease about studying a Sociology degree🙂

Chloe

Many thanks✨

Hi I'm Prof Riordan, an essay writing expert I have a vast experience on this field. DM me for assistance.

Many thanks✨

Hello @Ruby12hty,

First of all it is great to hear that you are interested in applying to the University of Salford and I hope I can advise you in the best way possible with this post.

We use a variety of assessment methods on our BSc (Hons) Sociology course including essays, but which also include, exams, presentations (both group and individual), reports and a dissertation (optional). The assessments you take will depend on the modules you pick so it would be hard to advise how many essays you will be completing at one given time.

You can find out more information on the modules on offer in our second and third year on the course page of our website (link below):
https://www.salford.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/sociology

If you need any further assistance do not hesitate to get in touch, you can also contact our course enquiries team via their email ([email protected])

Best wishes,
Matt - University of Salford Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending