The Student Room Group

Can I take 3 different a levels after my 3, already done 6th form ones??

I absolutely bombed my a levels cuz of depression, Probably A BBD or something in Psychology, English and math. AAD if I didn't do as bad as I thought. I'm not stupid, I got consistant A's, just didnt revise for the actual thing which is pretty damn stupid to be fair...

I can't even use these subjects to get into medicine 😭 And honestly I don't mind sacrificing 2 more years to completely redo the process with chemistry, Biology and Physics (only because I already know 90% of the physics course and dropped it last minute).

Do uni's even accept stuff like this??? would retaking alevels but with 3 different subjects in order to get into medicine be a bad idea or... granted I'm gonna try guarantee myself all A's. Like I dont mind spending another 2 years before uni going through the whole process and the money isn't an issue, since I'm under 19, and my college is free for under 19's.

Like, I can't imagine anything else I could possibly do, there's no point in resiting bombed a levels that I can't even use for the course I want to do. Most uni's I want to go to don't accept resits.. And I need biology and chemistry.

This kind of thing just doesn't happen, most people accept defeat. idk I can't deal with not getting into medicine, and I couldn't change my a levels when I changed my "career aspirations"

It is imperative I do medicine. So question is, how would uni's consider me redoing my messed up a levels with 3 new ones that actually match the course...?
Original post by zaereii
I absolutely bombed my a levels cuz of depression, Probably A BBD or something in Psychology, English and math. AAD if I didn't do as bad as I thought. I'm not stupid, I got consistant A's, just didnt revise for the actual thing which is pretty damn stupid to be fair...

I can't even use these subjects to get into medicine 😭 And honestly I don't mind sacrificing 2 more years to completely redo the process with chemistry, Biology and Physics (only because I already know 90% of the physics course and dropped it last minute).

Do uni's even accept stuff like this??? would retaking alevels but with 3 different subjects in order to get into medicine be a bad idea or... granted I'm gonna try guarantee myself all A's. Like I dont mind spending another 2 years before uni going through the whole process and the money isn't an issue, since I'm under 19, and my college is free for under 19's.

Like, I can't imagine anything else I could possibly do, there's no point in resiting bombed a levels that I can't even use for the course I want to do. Most uni's I want to go to don't accept resits.. And I need biology and chemistry.

This kind of thing just doesn't happen, most people accept defeat. idk I can't deal with not getting into medicine, and I couldn't change my a levels when I changed my "career aspirations"

It is imperative I do medicine. So question is, how would uni's consider me redoing my messed up a levels with 3 new ones that actually match the course...?

Do some research into medical schools that don't mind applicants who resit or restart their A-levels.

Imperative?
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
Do some research into medical schools that don't mind applicants who resit or restart their A-levels.

Imperative?

I have tried but, each source says something different. I know Exeter and Bristol accept, and KCL but ur bumped down. Southampton does too though it's not russel group. But, that's about resits.
I was told redoing a levels with different subjects to get into a different course dont count as resits but, I've also been told it does. Which is why I'm so confused. If they are entirely different subjects would it count as an additional 2 years and therefore a resit or not? There is like no info on this online, they are all about resitting.

I want to get into either Edinburgh or Manchester but they have (i think) strict resit policies..
Reply 3
Original post by zaereii

Two words...Liverpool University!!! :wink:
Original post by zaereii
I have tried but, each source says something different. I know Exeter and Bristol accept, and KCL but ur bumped down. Southampton does too though it's not russel group. But, that's about resits.
I was told redoing a levels with different subjects to get into a different course dont count as resits but, I've also been told it does. Which is why I'm so confused. If they are entirely different subjects would it count as an additional 2 years and therefore a resit or not? There is like no info on this online, they are all about resitting.

I want to get into either Edinburgh or Manchester but they have (i think) strict resit policies..

More digging is required.

(I've requested a move to the Medicine forum, where people with greater knowledge should be able to help.)
Original post by zaereii

There's no point digging- you need to ask unis directly. You should write down 10 medical schools that accept resits and go down the extenuating circumstances route and email them. Get someone to be your ucas referee and get predicted grades. If possible, see if you can visit your old sixth form and ask if you can apply to medicine through them. And look into how/where you'll resit your a levels.
You could also look into foundation year medicine courses. I know Bristol have one for dentistry so maybe they'll have one.
Reply 6
Original post by jessdarlinnn
There's no point digging- you need to ask unis directly. You should write down 10 medical schools that accept resits and go down the extenuating circumstances route and email them. Get someone to be your ucas referee and get predicted grades. If possible, see if you can visit your old sixth form and ask if you can apply to medicine through them. And look into how/where you'll resit your a levels.
You could also look into foundation year medicine courses. I know Bristol have one for dentistry so maybe they'll have one.

Cheers :> I've talked with my 6th form head and they said they would call up all the medicine uni's which was insanely nice of them. So, I guess I'll be waiting until then. Also, booked some open days just in case. I know Bristol and Southampton's Retake policies are quite lax, so they're my most likely options. I'll look into it more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending