The Student Room Group

MSc Speech and Language Therapy at BCU questions

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of applying to Birmingham City University for MSc Speech and Language Therapy starting in January 2021.

I have two main things to ask about.

I haven’t really seen BCU mentioned on other threads so the first thing I was wondering is if there is anyone here who has applied or is going to apply? Or if you are already at BCU doing this course I would love to know what you think as I haven’t been able to go to an open day due to the Coronavirus lockdown.

The second thing is more about what experience I have for the course. I studied languages at undergraduate level and graduated in 2018. Since then I’ve been working and trying to decide what to do next. Having now decided on SLT, as I am very interested in languages, communication and helping people, I’m going to try applying for the BCU masters although Coronavirus has got in the way of me getting more relevant experience. I was arranging to go to an SLT clinic to observe, but that is not possible anymore unfortunately. The experience I already have is teaching English for a year abroad in Spain, and my current job involves lots of communication although not with the kind of target groups that SLT helps (I’m doing customer service). I also have many years of volunteering experience with children, though this is from a few years ago now. I am following some online courses to learn more about SLT and at least gain more knowledge about the subject while I can’t undertake any physical experience. I know it will probably still be a long shot and will be unlikely to result in a place but I am really keen and going to try anyway. Does anyone have any other ideas of things I could do during the lockdown to improve my application?

Thank you so much in advance!
Hi,
Your situation sounds so similar to mine -- I'm also a languages graduate from 2018 (with a TEFL year in Spain)! I was also wondering the same about the MSc at Birmingham City -- I received an offer for this course this week which is super exciting, but I haven't been able to come across any threads from people who have studied this course, which I would be interested to have a look at. I work as a speech therapy assistant at the moment and none of my therapist colleagues knew that Birmingham offered this course so possibly it has recently been introduced, I'd be interested to find out.
Good luck with everything!
Reply 2
Original post by wallfl0wer
Hi,
Your situation sounds so similar to mine -- I'm also a languages graduate from 2018 (with a TEFL year in Spain)! I was also wondering the same about the MSc at Birmingham City -- I received an offer for this course this week which is super exciting, but I haven't been able to come across any threads from people who have studied this course, which I would be interested to have a look at. I work as a speech therapy assistant at the moment and none of my therapist colleagues knew that Birmingham offered this course so possibly it has recently been introduced, I'd be interested to find out.

Hi!
Congratulations on your place, that is really exciting! Funny that we did the same course etc :smile: I also got an offer for the MSc at BCU yesterday, so maybe we'll see each other there! Are you planning to accept the place? I'm still thinking about it.
I also found out that it is a really new course, they only just started offering SLT as a masters this year so we would be the second cohort, think that's why there aren't any threads on it yet.
Not sure if you already know about it, but there is a Facebook group called "UK Speech & Language Therapy Students", I found one girl on there who is doing the MSc course at BCU at the moment. There are lots of other posts in the group about starting studying SLT in general though so it seems like a good group to be part of.
Reply 3
Hi to both of you! I was offered a place too! I’m a Psychology graduate. It’s been so hard to find people on the course - so happy I came across this!
Omg I am a psychology graduate hoping to do SLT masters! I am worried I don’t have enough experience. If you don’t mind can you please mention what experience you had and how the interview process was.
Reply 5
Hi, I was wondering how you all are, did you accept the course
Reply 6
Original post by naaeeh
Hi everyone,

I am thinking of applying to Birmingham City University for MSc Speech and Language Therapy starting in January 2021.

I have two main things to ask about.

I haven’t really seen BCU mentioned on other threads so the first thing I was wondering is if there is anyone here who has applied or is going to apply? Or if you are already at BCU doing this course I would love to know what you think as I haven’t been able to go to an open day due to the Coronavirus lockdown.

The second thing is more about what experience I have for the course. I studied languages at undergraduate level and graduated in 2018. Since then I’ve been working and trying to decide what to do next. Having now decided on SLT, as I am very interested in languages, communication and helping people, I’m going to try applying for the BCU masters although Coronavirus has got in the way of me getting more relevant experience. I was arranging to go to an SLT clinic to observe, but that is not possible anymore unfortunately. The experience I already have is teaching English for a year abroad in Spain, and my current job involves lots of communication although not with the kind of target groups that SLT helps (I’m doing customer service). I also have many years of volunteering experience with children, though this is from a few years ago now. I am following some online courses to learn more about SLT and at least gain more knowledge about the subject while I can’t undertake any physical experience. I know it will probably still be a long shot and will be unlikely to result in a place but I am really keen and going to try anyway. Does anyone have any other ideas of things I could do during the lockdown to improve my application?

Thank

Hi,

Original post by naaeeh
Hi!
Congratulations on your place, that is really exciting! Funny that we did the same course etc :smile: I also got an offer for the MSc at BCU yesterday, so maybe we'll see each other there! Are you planning to accept the place? I'm still thinking about it.
I also found out that it is a really new course, they only just started offering SLT as a masters this year so we would be the second cohort, think that's why there aren't any threads on it yet.
Not sure if you already know about it, but there is a Facebook group called "UK Speech & Language Therapy Students", I found one girl on there who is doing the MSc course at BCU at the moment. There are lots of other posts in the group about starting studying SLT in general though so it seems like a good group to be part of.

Hi, is anyone now studying SLT at BCU? I’m thinking of starting in January 2023. I’ll be relocating with a 3 year old & will need to set him up in school so it’s a big deal. Please let me know how it’s going? Thanks
Hello,
I just came across this thread! Hoping you've graduated now. How many days do you spend at uni? and is it full days??
Reply 8
Hello, I didn’t get a place! I also lived in Spain & taught TEFL for many years & with a PGCEi. I am wondering how you landed a SLT assistant role, I’d be keen in something like that. Please let me know if you could :smile:

Hi,
Reply 9
Hi! Sorry to jump onto this thread, I think my messages are just getting buried in the main SALT thread. I'm just wondering if anyone has applied for the MSc for Jan 2024 entry? Or if anyone knows or can advise how long we should expect to wait before hearing back? Thanks ! :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by rhianerin21
Hi! Sorry to jump onto this thread, I think my messages are just getting buried in the main SALT thread. I'm just wondering if anyone has applied for the MSc for Jan 2024 entry? Or if anyone knows or can advise how long we should expect to wait before hearing back? Thanks ! :smile:

Hey! Am wondering the same and have also applied. You heard back yet?
Original post by slt2bezoeb
Hey! Am wondering the same and have also applied. You heard back yet?

No I haven’t!
Reply 12
Original post by rhianerin21
No I haven’t!

Ooooh okay there’s still hope then xo

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending