The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Advice on Applications from a current University of Sheffield Student

Hi Everyone!
My name is Sofia, and I am currently a 3rd Year Biochemistry student at the University of Sheffield. I know that a lot of people are currently busy working hard on applications for university. Please feel free to ask me any questions about the application process or about university life in general.
Good luck,
Sofia
Hi sofia
I have a question. How much training have you had on the application process?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Can I just ask how much weight do Sheffield place on the personal statement? Like do they check if you meet entry reqs first then if it's you Vs another candidate then they compare personal statements or do they check personal statements first then pick the ones they like and check if it meets entry. Basically how important is the personal statement
Original post by shadowblades
Can I just ask how much weight do Sheffield place on the personal statement? Like do they check if you meet entry reqs first then if it's you Vs another candidate then they compare personal statements or do they check personal statements first then pick the ones they like and check if it meets entry. Basically how important is the personal statement

Hi shadowblades,
It really does depend on the course you are applying for, and different departments use your personal statement more than others. However, it is still important to make sure you have a strong personal statement. This is because even for the courses that don't use it to initially decide whether to make you an offer, it is often used to determine whether you may still get a place at the university if you happen to miss your grades on results day. Also, every university is different and some of the other universities you are applying for may heavily reply on your personal statement. Therefore, my main advice is to make it as strong as you can.
I hope this helps,
Sofia (3rd Year Biochemistry)
Oh that's a great answer and makes a lot of sense. Thank you so much!
Original post by shadowblades
Oh that's a great answer and makes a lot of sense. Thank you so much!

Hi shadowblades,
No worries! Best of luck with your university applications. Please don't hesitate to ask me any other questions you may have.
Sofia (3rd Year Biochemistry Student)
Reply 6
Hi I have a question. I’m applying for bioengineering/biochemical engineering/biomedical at 5 different universities, one of which being Sheffield. Although the course content is similar across all 5 universities, since they are under different names, I wasn’t able to specify the name biomedical engineering on my personal statement, but instead adopted a more broad term of bioengineering. Would this heavily affect my application?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending