The Student Room Group

Is going to the doctors for a cough justified?

I never really get sick nor do i tend to visit the doctor but since starting uni and being in my accommodation, i’ve been stuck with a cough that’s just getting worser week by week. At first it was like “oh freshers flu, no biggie.” and i just drank plenty, dosed up on cough sweets and paracetamols. Come to November and it’s become a dry cough where i get nasty coughing fits before sleeping and just really whenever (once again kept drinking loads and assumed it’ll die down within a week or so.)
Come to about now and from last week it’s developed again where it’s like a deep loud wet cough, constantly coughing my guts up to the point i feel like i’m going to puke, waking up randomly to have coughing fits, hella mucus etc, feels like no matter how much water i chug down to relieve it the ***** ain’t leaving. You can sometimes hear it in my breathing and my voice because my voice randomly goes all wheezy and sounds like i’ve been smoking 50 a day.
Essentially i’m asking, am i justified to get an appointment? or will they probably roll their eyes at me for walking in with a cough. I’m thinking about maybe waiting till after new years but i also don’t think i want to know how much worser it can get because i’m already exhausted waking up constantly to cough my guts up.
Reply 1
Definitely go and see a doctor as you've had a cough for more than 3 weeks and it's getting worse.
Yes, as above.
Reply 3
Definitely a worthy reason to see your doctor.
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/cough/ - it specifically recommends to see a GP if "you've had a cough for more than 3 weeks (persistent cough)", or "your cough is very bad or quickly gets worse for example, you have a hacking cough or cannot stop coughing"

So since that's what the NHS is telling you to do, that seems practical to do :tongue:
Reply 5
My mrs is a sister (ironic), and she put off seeing anyone about her cough for about 5 weeks. Last week, a doctor she worked with heard her cough and sent her for an x-ray. Pneumonia. Get it checked.

Quick Reply

Latest