The Student Room Group

HELP! my mum has issues

hi,
my mother has some serious issues you cannot talk to her without her arguing with you. she gets jealous over things like my stepdad and auntie being friends. she used to pretend to strangle herself when we were younger. she blames everything on my father who doesn't speak to us, she is so bad with money, she then cries about money and she made me and my sisters think we hate each other.
me, my sisters and grandparents are going to sit down and speak to her because its getting out of hand. but we cant even speak to her without her feeling like we are attacking her.
it getting so bad that my grandparents and stepfather are saying put her in a psychiatric ward for a month.
how do i handle this situation?
It's unlikely that your mother will be admitted to a psychiatric hospital involuntarily unless she's posing a risk to herself or others.

That said, she clearly needs some kind of help so therapy would be ideal. Being open and honest but also kind and validating when broaching the topic is so important; you won't convice anyone to accept that they need help if they feel judged and criticised. The need to change has to ultimately come from within so don't be too hard on yourself if this awareness doesn't happen immediately. Remember to look after yourself as well.
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending