The Student Room Group

Likelihood of getting in?

Hiii I’m currently in year 13 and I’ve just send my application off for chemical engineering. Context: This is my second time technically in year 13 due to some issues with my mental health where I was hospitalised two months in and then subsequently I missed 3 months of school so I’ve just recently returned to school so technically I’m not resitting anything because I wasn’t even in to do the 2023 a levels. Anyways tldr: second time in year 13 due to mental health issues. So I’m applying to do chemical engineering if that will affect anything. Keeping in mind I struggled to do work experience and boost my grades bc i was stressy depressy so I’m very proud of myself for getting this far regardless. I do bio, chem and maths and my application grades are A*AA with the A* in chem. I’ve applied to:
Imperial (Typical offer: A*A*A but guaranteed interview with contextual)
UCL (Typical offer: AAA but contextual is ABC)
Manchester (Typical offer: AAA contextual: additional consideration)
Loughborough (Typical offer: AAB contextual: might knock one grade down)
Bradford (as a backup): (Typical offer: BBC)

In my personal statement I talked about reading a book, completing a MOOC and doing a lab skills work experience where I related it to the precision and reproducibility required in a degree like chemical engineering. I’ve visited Drax power station and I have done multiple online work experiences also. I mentioned being a blogger for an NGO as an internship over the summer, and raising money for a mental health charity by climbing mount snowden. Is this good enough??
Original post by noomqopmao
Hiii I’m currently in year 13 and I’ve just send my application off for chemical engineering. Context: This is my second time technically in year 13 due to some issues with my mental health where I was hospitalised two months in and then subsequently I missed 3 months of school so I’ve just recently returned to school so technically I’m not resitting anything because I wasn’t even in to do the 2023 a levels. Anyways tldr: second time in year 13 due to mental health issues. So I’m applying to do chemical engineering if that will affect anything. Keeping in mind I struggled to do work experience and boost my grades bc i was stressy depressy so I’m very proud of myself for getting this far regardless. I do bio, chem and maths and my application grades are A*AA with the A* in chem. I’ve applied to:

In my personal statement I talked about reading a book, completing a MOOC and doing a lab skills work experience where I related it to the precision and reproducibility required in a degree like chemical engineering. I’ve visited Drax power station and I have done multiple online work experiences also. I mentioned being a blogger for an NGO as an internship over the summer, and raising money for a mental health charity by climbing mount snowden. Is this good enough??

Hey there ,
first of all congratulations on your predicted AAA* that's amazing and based on those grades you don't have much to worry about. I would say that for now don't worry about which universities you will get into just focus on keeping up those grades and wait for your UCAS choices to come back.
Also keep in mind that you can still get into engineering with a clearing choice based on the final grades you get , many universities will give you the opportunity to apply through clearing and if your grades are any where near what you are predicted at the moment you will be fine .
I hope this helps to reduce your stress a little , you are doing amazing and your hard work will pay off in a few months. Goodluck for your final exams !
Cece
Energy Engineering
DeMontfort University
Reply 2
Original post by De Montfort University
Hey there ,
first of all congratulations on your predicted AAA* that's amazing and based on those grades you don't have much to worry about. I would say that for now don't worry about which universities you will get into just focus on keeping up those grades and wait for your UCAS choices to come back.
Also keep in mind that you can still get into engineering with a clearing choice based on the final grades you get , many universities will give you the opportunity to apply through clearing and if your grades are any where near what you are predicted at the moment you will be fine .
I hope this helps to reduce your stress a little , you are doing amazing and your hard work will pay off in a few months. Goodluck for your final exams !
Cece
Energy Engineering
DeMontfort University

omg thank you so much for taking the time to reply and such a kind reply at that, you really reassured me about clearing and maybe you’re my good luck charm because i just received two offers from loughborough and bradford!!! 🤍🤍🤍
Reply 3
From memory the imperial interview isn't too bad just make sure you are up to date with your A level maths and chemistry and know your personal statement. I can't exactly remember what I had to do, but we essentially worked through a series of steps to derive an equation about gas laws or pressure or something like that in A level maths using integration and differentiation. Also they do tend to give out pretty high offers so be prepared to potentially work for an A* in maths/chem. Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by Greg8881
From memory the imperial interview isn't too bad just make sure you are up to date with your A level maths and chemistry and know your personal statement. I can't exactly remember what I had to do, but we essentially worked through a series of steps to derive an equation about gas laws or pressure or something like that in A level maths using integration and differentiation. Also they do tend to give out pretty high offers so be prepared to potentially work for an A* in maths/chem. Good luck!

Hiii thank you for replying. I haven’t received an interview invite yet but I’ve started doing my prep and I’ll keep that all in mind but ngl that questions sounds kinda scary😭 are they nice? I wrote down in my notes the main things to remember are that they want to see if I think critically and if I am teachable and I should always research the interviewer and ask questions. Also I’m fully prepared to work hard to get those multiple A* but I’m scared they won’t want to give me an offer at all…

Consider attending the Offer Holders Visit Days for your UCAS firm and insurance University choices. Especially if these visits fall on a weekend, Inset day, in the half term, Bank Holiday or a non-busy school day.

Congratulations on the predicted grades and good luck for the future..
omg thank you so much for taking the time to reply and such a kind reply at that, you really reassured me about clearing and maybe you’re my good luck charm because i just received two offers from loughborough and bradford!!! 🤍🤍🤍

Congrats on the offers @noomqopmao !! amazing news 🙂

I hope the rest of Year 13 goes really well for you, how you finding it? :smile:

Becky

Quick Reply

Latest