The Student Room Group

would you rather have 15% higher IQ, or 100% more self discipline?

and let's say self discipline is quantified as how often you finish a task or continue a habit you've decided on
Reply 1
The former. It's the only one of the two that isn't something you can just choose to have ordinarily.
Reply 2
Original post by ROTL94 4
The former. It's the only one of the two that isn't something you can just choose to have ordinarily.

but if you look at how people act irl, it's as if they have no control over levels of self discipline... and are most things in your life more likely to be improved by a little more brain power, or just a lot more discipline?
Reply 3
Original post by steamedclams
and let's say self discipline is quantified as how often you finish a task or continue a habit you've decided on

More self discipline easily.
Someone with really high IQ will still do nothing with there life if they cant stick to anything.
Reply 4
Original post by steamedclams
but if you look at how people act irl, it's as if they have no control over levels of self discipline... and are most things in your life more likely to be improved by a little more brain power, or just a lot more discipline?

That's a choice they make thought isn't it? Poor self discipline can be worked on. There's no improving having an IQ of 90.
Reply 5
Original post by ROTL94 4
That's a choice they make thought isn't it? Poor self discipline can be worked on. There's no improving having an IQ of 90.

you could say the same about having no self discipline. there's no improving having absolutely no self discipline, because you wouldn't have the discipline, and wouldn't care enough to anyway.
and even with a quite low iq you can still do worthwhile things in life
Dude, gotta go with the self-discipline upgrade all the way. I mean, a higher IQ is cool and all, but if I can't stick to my goals or get stuff done, what's the point?
Reply 7
The latter, I'm fine with an IQ in the 110s. Too high can be a curse.
Reply 8
New research shows that you might indeed be able to improve IQ.
Self-discipline, on the basis that IQ is BS.

Quick Reply

Latest