The Student Room Group

Pensions and Student Finance

Hi! Just wondering because it's not too long for student finance applications (Wales).

My Mum passed away last year. She had a child's pension planned for me and there's also inheritance. I hate talking about this but I need to figure out how this works with student finance? It would be going off my stepdad's income I think, but he hasn't been in work for a year, so our situation is also quite confusing in that way. I know I'm very priviledged, but I don't want to use my inheritance, and I'd rather not use my pension either. I wondering if it counts towards our household income? I can't find much information on child pensions, I guess it's quite a rare thing (bless her). Just need some advice really. My stepdad gets quite stressed with online stuff so we'd rather understand it all early before it's being demanded?
Original post by astrocarbs
Hi! Just wondering because it's not too long for student finance applications (Wales).

My Mum passed away last year. She had a child's pension planned for me and there's also inheritance. I hate talking about this but I need to figure out how this works with student finance? It would be going off my stepdad's income I think, but he hasn't been in work for a year, so our situation is also quite confusing in that way. I know I'm very priviledged, but I don't want to use my inheritance, and I'd rather not use my pension either. I wondering if it counts towards our household income? I can't find much information on child pensions, I guess it's quite a rare thing (bless her). Just need some advice really. My stepdad gets quite stressed with online stuff so we'd rather understand it all early before it's being demanded?

You will need to check the documentation you have for your scheme, but pension funds aren't usually accessible until age 55. Assuming that you are not currently receiving an income from it, then it shouldn't have a bearing on your student finance. With regards to your inheritance, if it is in a savings account and earning interest, then the interest will need to be declared to SFW as 'unearned income'.

There is more information on the SFW website:

https://www.studentfinancewales.co.uk/undergraduate-finance/parents-and-partners/
Reply 2
Original post by normaw
You will need to check the documentation you have for your scheme, but pension funds aren't usually accessible until age 55. Assuming that you are not currently receiving an income from it, then it shouldn't have a bearing on your student finance. With regards to your inheritance, if it is in a savings account and earning interest, then the interest will need to be declared to SFW as 'unearned income'.

There is more information on the SFW website:

https://www.studentfinancewales.co.uk/undergraduate-finance/parents-and-partners/

Oh, no I am receiving money from it? Some sort of scheme she arranged where if she passed early, I would be given an amount monthly until I leave education at 23. I have to send in evidence for my education yearly and stuff. I guess this means it's probably included, though at the moment I am immediately transferring it to my savings. My younger sister has it too so that might also mess things up? I did ask student finance when they did a visit to my college, but they started asking where my actual dad was and if I classed as an independent student (I don't think so) - they didn't really answer my questions. But maybe I try contact them again. Just so difficult to explain.. The inheritance seems to make sense now though, thank you. It's not actually sorted yet (the solicitors are incredibly slow here), but it should be by then, otherwise that might also mess things up 😭
(edited 4 months ago)
Did you find out the answer to this as my son is in the same position. The notes say dont include payments you receive under a covenant which is similar.
Did you receive a response to this from student finance as my son is in the same position

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending