The Student Room Group

Have you ever..

Has a supervisor criticised you about your personality for being too quiet and for that your not engaging with the team?

This happened to me. I like listening to people but because I'm a shy quiet person I was automatically not a team player.

I suffer from anxiety, I always worry whether I'm coming across too shy. I guess this situation has made me worry a lot more now in situations.

At the same time it has made me into a stronger person

I'd like to hear your thoughts
Hi there,

I can completely relate to you.

When I started university in my first year, I was an introvert, a shy, self-conscious individual with social anxiety (and still am). We'd usually be asked to introduce ourselves at the start of each semester and, although this can be done seated, the thought of just saying my name, where I'm from and what my favourite animal is etc, made me shiver top to bottom and all sweaty and nervous. I'd try to collate a sentence in my head before I say it, but when I say it aloud it all just sounded like gibberish and I can never stop stuttering and always find it embarrassing. All I wanted to say is that you're not the only one. I really would love to be there next to you and tell you that, despite your timid personality, you can still do this.
For me, it all changed when I told myself that most of the people just won't even care how you are and even if they judge you, they don't really know the true you until they've actually had a proper conversation with you. You can be shy and quite but still be a likeable person. Not everyone likes extroverts anyways, despite their confident, which I envy.
By changing my mindset, I had the confidence to ask a group of friends if I could hang out with them, and since then I have not regretted. I also took the opportunity to participate in various projects, become a student ambassador and even took the initiative to become a committee member.
All I want to say is that it's alright to feel how you're feeling, but you also mentioned that it has made you a stronger person and even if I don't know you, I am honestly so proud of you! 😀

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Narusha
Coventry University Student Ambassador
Reply 2
I work a fairly big company of 200 people.

However there could be a possibility that I may lose my job because I'm quiet and shy. I'm a introvert too, I have good and bad days...on good days I feel I have more things to say whereas on bad day when I feel low I won't say anything.

I also like listening to people and observing others too..I enjoy that the most than talking.

My boss wants me to be like everyone else, just having big loud voices. I can't be someone I'm not .

They also saw me as not a team player because I wasn't talking to someone of my colleagues from my team. It was really hurtful as I get on with literally everyone.

I'm not happy at the way I've been treated.

Everyone whose known me more than 5yrs, know that I'm a kind, polite, empathetic person.

any thoughts?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending