The Student Room Group

People of mechanic engineers, What laptop do you recommend?

I am off to do mechanical engineering in coming few weeks, I have a MacBook Air and willing to buy a laptop to drop notes, Idk which to decide iPad Pro or surface pro? I am afraid some software don't runs on the apple ecosystem and some runs on window only???
Original post by Seb S
I am off to do mechanical engineering in coming few weeks, I have a MacBook Air and willing to buy a laptop to drop notes, Idk which to decide iPad Pro or surface pro? I am afraid some software don't runs on the apple ecosystem and some runs on window only???

Programming & general analysis tools such as Python or Matlab will run on apple & windows.

CAE (computer aided engineering) programs such as FEA or CFD solvers typically run on windows or linux, same with design tools (CAD). (There are ways of using these programs via bootcamp, but ive never seen a professional company install this way).

Most CAD & CAE programs are fairly intensive to run (cad from a graphics perspective & cae on the cpu) as such you would need a pretty strong performing machine, if not the university will have PCs you can use for engineering coursework and you can use your personal pc for general office use applications.
Hi there !
I just completed my first year in a related engineering course and I purchased a Macbook Air at the start of the academic year , unfortunately I couldn't run Ansys and Creo which falls under CAD software. Luckily DMU has online versions of this software that can be accessed on any computer , this was my saving grace. If you are considering getting a new laptop I would advise Windows over Apple , it is just more convenient but if you already have a Macbook you will be okay. I suggest you wait till you attend a few CAE classes before you invest in a new laptop , owning a Macbook isn't that bad.
Your university library should have PC's with all the software you need and if your university is anything like DMU you will have 24hr access to the library.

Don't worry about it too much and goodluck with the year ahead !
Cece
Energy Engineering Student
De Montfort University
Original post by De Montfort University
Hi there !
I just completed my first year in a related engineering course and I purchased a Macbook Air at the start of the academic year , unfortunately I couldn't run Ansys and Creo which falls under CAD software. Luckily DMU has online versions of this software that can be accessed on any computer , this was my saving grace. If you are considering getting a new laptop I would advise Windows over Apple , it is just more convenient but if you already have a Macbook you will be okay. I suggest you wait till you attend a few CAE classes before you invest in a new laptop , owning a Macbook isn't that bad.
Your university library should have PC's with all the software you need and if your university is anything like DMU you will have 24hr access to the library.

Don't worry about it too much and goodluck with the year ahead !
Cece
Energy Engineering Student
De Montfort University

Ansys isnt a CAD platform it is a CAE suit (consisting of several CAE software packages & some additional tools), it encompasses 2 design tools within it (Design modeller & SpaceClaim) however these are not fully fledged design for manufacturing platforms they are really for creating geometry to integrate into one of the CAE tools that exist within the Ansys suit (there are key functionality differences between these tools and traditional CAD tools).
Original post by mnot
Ansys isnt a CAD platform it is a CAE suit (consisting of several CAE software packages & some additional tools), it encompasses 2 design tools within it (Design modeller & SpaceClaim) however these are not fully fledged design for manufacturing platforms they are really for creating geometry to integrate into one of the CAE tools that exist within the Ansys suit (there are key functionality differences between these tools and traditional CAD tools).

Thank you so much for the clarification. Unfortunately your definition of CAE and CAD does not assist the student in picking a laptop. My typo doesn't negate that I am an engineering student and managed to do just fine with a Mac book because of the facilities and online access to software that my university provided.
Just remember we're just here to help and I hope you have a lovely day !
Reply 5
Buy a windows laptop most engineering softwares work only/better on windows. You can use uni facilities to run different programs but having the option to work from home or remotely is always a good idea.

Depending on the program you are in probably you would not need to run any software in the first 2 years that doesn't work well on apple

Quick Reply

Latest