The Student Room Group

Am I being mocked?

I am working as a TA for a large course. There are several TAs teaching/assisting this course. We had a brief meeting between all of the TAs and professors. One of my colleagues started to laugh/giggle when she saw me. This went on for a while. She would stare at me and giggle/laugh, quite visibly, on several occasions during this meeting.

After this meeting a few of us went out to grab some drinks. While we were all at the pub, she asked me why I was smiling at her during the meeting. I told her that I was not smiling at her and that she was just laughing/giggling at me. I asked her why were you laughing and giggling? She just laughed and giggled and did not give me a reply. During the meeting I was also wearing a mask. So I really do not understand why she would ask me why I was smiling at her when I clearly was not.

Is this lady mocking me or ?
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 1
i think maybe it’s because of the mask
Reply 2
Original post by alexbuzzy
i think maybe it’s because of the mask

I wasn't the only person at that meeting wearing a mask. One of the professors and another TA also had a mask on. So out of the 9 people there 3, including myself were wearing a mask.
Original post by Jay567
I am working as a TA for a large course. There are several TAs teaching/assisting this course. We had a brief meeting between all of the TAs and professors. One of my colleagues started to laugh/giggle when she saw me. This went on for a while. She would stare at me and giggle/laugh, quite visibly, on several occasions during this meeting.

After this meeting a few of us went out to grab some drinks. While we were all at the pub, she asked me why I was smiling at her during the meeting. I told her that I was not smiling at her and that she was just laughing/giggling at me. I asked her why were you laughing and giggling? She just laughed and giggled and did not give me a reply. During the meeting I was also wearing a mask. So I really do not understand why she would ask me why I was smiling at her when I clearly was not.

I think the reason was probably because you were wearing a mask which made you to possibly look like a schmuck.
Reply 4
Original post by Wired_1800
I think the reason was probably because you were wearing a mask which made you to possibly look like a schmuck.

schmuck 😭😭
Reply 5
Original post by Jay567

she seems a bit weird don't worry about it too much she may like you or something. even if she is laughing AT you she's the weird one laughing when you did nothing funny
Original post by omgwha
schmuck 😭😭

Sadly, yes. Many people in masks on the streets are repeatedly mocked.
She may have found it funny that so many of you were masked or thought that you looked a lot sillier than everyone else wearing a mask.
A lot of people in the uk now associate wearing a face mask with being very unhealthy or a hypochondriac.

Quick Reply

Latest