The Student Room Group

OCR Religious' studies A level soul, mind and body question

‘Discussion of the mind-body distinction is a category error’ Critically assess this view.

Could someone help me with answering and structuring this question? I know you can only get AO1 marks when talking about the given factor in the question, but I honestly only have one paragraph of things to say about the Category error. How could I link dualism and materialism to this and still get marks?
Thanks
Original post by Henriettawinter
‘Discussion of the mind-body distinction is a category error’ Critically assess this view.

Could someone help me with answering and structuring this question? I know you can only get AO1 marks when talking about the given factor in the question, but I honestly only have one paragraph of things to say about the Category error. How could I link dualism and materialism to this and still get marks?
Thanks

Firstly you need to link it to the scholar who said that mind-body distinction is a category error (I believe it to be Gilbert Ryle). I would explain Ryle's beliefs in detail and then give your opinion on it. I would then mention another scholar who is a materialist like Richard Dawkins and explain his beliefs and what their opinion is on the matter. I would mention materialists who would disagree like Plato and Descartes giving them a paragraph each. Make sure to evaluate after every scholar you have brought in. It is also important to include a conclusion as well. You need to make sure you clearly state what each of the scholars would believe about the statement in the question.
Reply 2
Explain Ryle's critique of dualism as based on a category error, then evaluate it

I would then do a paragraph on Dawkins, consider whether his scientific approach is superior in refuting dualism to Ryle's philosophical approach.

Finally I would do a paragraph on Descartes, since Ryle was responding to him specifically - and consider whether there are better or worse ways of evaluating Descartes' arguments than the category mistake criticism.

Notes here (be warned - Ryle is extremely difficult to understand: https://alevelphilosophyandreligion.com/ocr-religious-studies/ocr-philosophy/soul-mind-body/
Original post by flowersinmyhair
Firstly you need to link it to the scholar who said that mind-body distinction is a category error (I believe it to be Gilbert Ryle). I would explain Ryle's beliefs in detail and then give your opinion on it. I would then mention another scholar who is a materialist like Richard Dawkins and explain his beliefs and what their opinion is on the matter. I would mention materialists who would disagree like Plato and Descartes giving them a paragraph each. Make sure to evaluate after every scholar you have brought in. It is also important to include a conclusion as well. You need to make sure you clearly state what each of the scholars would believe about the statement in the question.

Thank you!
Original post by Joe312
Explain Ryle's critique of dualism as based on a category error, then evaluate it

I would then do a paragraph on Dawkins, consider whether his scientific approach is superior in refuting dualism to Ryle's philosophical approach.

Finally I would do a paragraph on Descartes, since Ryle was responding to him specifically - and consider whether there are better or worse ways of evaluating Descartes' arguments than the category mistake criticism.

Notes here (be warned - Ryle is extremely difficult to understand: https://alevelphilosophyandreligion.com/ocr-religious-studies/ocr-philosophy/soul-mind-body/

Thank you so much, your notes are amazing!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending