The Student Room Group

Advice for First Years

Hi Everyone!

As the beginning of term gets closer, would anyone like to share any helpful tips that got them through first year?

This can be study tips, social tips, financial tips, or just anything that you think would be useful for first-year students.

Mine would be to join a sports team, it's a great way to meet people who aren't on your course and make use of your uni's facilities.

Let me know below!
Mike
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hi Everyone!

As the beginning of term gets closer, would anyone like to share any helpful tips that got them through first year?

This can be study tips, social tips, financial tips, or just anything that you think would be useful for first-year students.

Mine would be to join a sports team, it's a great way to meet people who aren't on your course and make use of your uni's facilities.

Let me know below!
Mike

Hi!

I've just completed my second year of university and have learned some things along the way that I wish I had known and done earlier. For example:

- Keep a schedule of all assignment deadlines.
It can be easy to lose track of what you have yet to do, what deadlines are due etc. Writing them down means you can easily take a look and tick off what you've done.

- Keep your workspace tidy.
Having a messy workspace can really deter you from sitting down to get some work done, and keeping your space clean can really set you up to have some good productivity which can help you to focus on your work! Plus, it really helps to avoid procrastination by seeing all the other million and one things you have to do.

- Get into a routine of waking up early.
Sometimes you might have early lectures, and if you get into the habit of missing one of them, it's likely you'll continue to do so throughout the year. Try to nip this in the bud before you even start by making sure you start your day early!

You'll learn many things as you go along, but I hope these small pieces of advice can help you get off to a good start and avoid some of the bigger mistakes! :smile:

Estelle
Second Year Psychology Student
University of Huddersfield
Hi Everyone!

Let me know below!
Mike

Hiya,

Here are some tips from a second-year chemistry student:

Active Learning: Don't just passively read your textbooks or notes. Engage with the material actively through summarising, teaching it to someone else, or solving problems related to the content. This will help you retain information better.
Study Groups: Collaborating with coursemates can offer new perspectives on challenging topics. Explaining concepts to each other solidifies your understanding and provides a supportive learning environment. Just make sure you don't get distracted and talk instead of study.
Explore Resources: Most universities offer a range of resources, from academic support centres to writing labs. Take advantage of these to improve your skills.
Financial Awareness: Budget your expenses and track your spending. Being mindful of your finances early on can prevent unnecessary stress later.
Balance is Key: While studying is important, don't forget to take breaks, exercise, and have hobbies. A balanced lifestyle enhances your productivity and overall well-being. University life can be demanding, so prioritize self-care. Get enough sleep, eat well, and don't hesitate to seek help if you're feeling overwhelmed.

Best of luck to all first year students!
-Beth (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Hi Everyone!

Let me know below!
Mike

Hey!

Mine would be:
1. Make the most of freshers week & put yourself out there (everyone is always most keen to make friends in the first few weeks)
2. Try something new (whether that's a society/sport/club... it's the best time to try something a bit different)
3. Take care of yourself (first year is fun, but don't neglect your health & wellbeing - it's okay to say no to a night out sometimes :biggrin:)
4. Don't neglect your work (I know everyone says 'first year doesn't count' which is mostly true, but don't get into the habit of missing lectures/neglecting assignments, as those bad habits can carry over to second & third year)

Good luck to everyone starting first year!! :smile:

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep
(edited 8 months ago)
Hi Everyone!

Let me know below!
Mike

Hiya,

2 tips from me:
1. Stay on top of your course content from day one. Focus in your lectures and try to capture the maximum content that you can. Make sure to have a personal revision timetable, and revise the content of each module on a weekly basis. This will make your life a lot easier when it comes to working on assignments, or even revising for exams, especially since you will have to apply the taught content to your assignments. When the time comes, you won't have to scramble to catch up on the content.

2. Engage in extra-curricular activities in order to learn something new, develop your skills, have fun, meet new people and make friends, and enhance your CV. This could include becoming a Course Representative, joining a sports club or society, volunteering etc. This shows initiative and that you have gone out of your way to improve during your time at uni, in your CV.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Juzer
Coventry University Student Ambassador
Hi Everyone!

Let me know below!
Mike

Hey,

Such a great idea! I've got some tips to help you make the most out of your time at university, especially your first year:

Embrace New Connections: Don't be shy about meeting new people even though it can be easier said than done. Whether it's in your lectures, clubs, or residence hall, everyone's in the same boat. Embrace the chance to make lifelong friends! I made my first friend in my first year because I did not know if I had used the oven correctly, turns out she had no idea either but we have been friends ever since😊

Stay on Top of Deadlines: Time management is your best friend. Keep a physical calendar/notepad, use apps on your phone, whatever works for you.

Seek Support: If you're ever feeling overwhelmed academically or personally, seek support sooner rather than later. Universities usually have counselling services, academic advisors, and resources to help you. Seeking support is so important.

Balance is Key: It's not all about studying. Find a balance between academics and personal life. Take breaks, indulge in hobbies, and make self-care a priority this prevents burnout and allows you to enjoy your time at university.

Explore the Campus and the area: Knowing where things are can save you a lot of time and stress. Plus, it gives you a reason to get outside! Exploring the area is fun especially if it is all new to you. However, even if you know the area, I am sure there are hidden gems you have yet to discover such as cafes or restaurants.

Network: Building connections isn't just about friends—it's about networking too. During my undergraduate course at university (UoC) the careers and employability team were so helpful so if your university has a careers team be proactive and get in touch with them! Also, set up a LinkedIn account to connect with people and follow brands/companies that you’re interested in.

Have Fun: Although you are at university to get a qualification don't forget to have fun! University is a unique chapter in your life, so make the most of it, believe me, it goes so fast!

Warm regards,

Paige- UoC Digital Marketing MSc student
Hi Everyone!

Let me know below!
Mike

Hi!

Seeing as everybody will be starting uni again after Christmas, I thought I'd comment on my advice for people in first year!

My best advice would be:

1) Join a society! Everybody says it but I really think it is a great way to make friends and be social! If you join a sports society, you get the fitness aspect of it which can be really good when you are so busy with work it is good to still do a bit of exercise once a week. Most sports societies also do a social once a week and often they dress up and it is really fun so I would really recommend this.

2) Keep on top of your work and do a bit each week rather than leaving it all to the last minute. This allows you to get the best grade you can and you can often also ask your tutors to look over the work that you have done so far which can really help you to do better.

3) Read through all of the feedback you got from assignments you did before Christmas and see what the common things are that you need to improve on. Talk to your tutors about how you can improve these thins or see if your library puts on skills sessions where you can improve on these things.

4) Try and get into a routine early. Plan your days so that you know you have time for everything you want to do that week, including work, social events, a job if you have one and even eating and sleeping! This means you know you have time for everything that you want to do.

5) Plan your meals for the week! This means you will stay within your budget for the week as you know everything you will need and it also saves you buying unnecessary takeaways because you have no food in. It's also so much better when you get back from uni and you already know what you are having for dinner and you don't need to decide!

I hope my tips help some people!

Lucy - SHU student ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending