The Student Room Group

GCSE English

I have to retake my english lit mock bc i didn’t do it when i was in the exam and messed about instead, how can i revise to try get the best mark? (christmas carol and unseen btw)

im only asking about the mocks bc my gcse’s are in 2 months and this would also benefit them also
Hiya! For English I would recommend making character and theme mind maps with key quotes and key points highlighted and keep going over these mind maps is it just an easier way to revise a condensed piece of information. I’d also recommend having a look on Quizlet. It often has premade resources on there, and you can make your own flashcards and quizzes to recap. You might as well take advantage of the Internet so I would suggest having a look on YouTube as well as some reason on there could be helpful and make sure that you do lots of practice papers even if you don’t write out to full essay, you could even do bullet points for each question and then have a look at the Mark schemes to see what topics you might’ve missed. For unseen Just have a look at other unseen papers that have happened in the past and see if you can spot out different language techniques and really understand what they’re talking about. It’s a practice one and it’s hard to know what I’ll come up on the day so just make sure that you do some practice papers.!

I hope this helps, and if you have any questions, then feel free to ask. Good luck with your exams.😊
Original post by ebyrne2036
Hiya! For English I would recommend making character and theme mind maps with key quotes and key points highlighted and keep going over these mind maps is it just an easier way to revise a condensed piece of information. I’d also recommend having a look on Quizlet. It often has premade resources on there, and you can make your own flashcards and quizzes to recap. You might as well take advantage of the Internet so I would suggest having a look on YouTube as well as some reason on there could be helpful and make sure that you do lots of practice papers even if you don’t write out to full essay, you could even do bullet points for each question and then have a look at the Mark schemes to see what topics you might’ve missed. For unseen Just have a look at other unseen papers that have happened in the past and see if you can spot out different language techniques and really understand what they’re talking about. It’s a practice one and it’s hard to know what I’ll come up on the day so just make sure that you do some practice papers.!

I hope this helps, and if you have any questions, then feel free to ask. Good luck with your exams.😊

how to check quizlet for pre-made resources?
There should be a search bar on Quizlet and you just type in the topic and resources that are already Made come up
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by jackjarvis29
I have to retake my english lit mock bc i didn’t do it when i was in the exam and messed about instead, how can i revise to try get the best mark? (christmas carol and unseen btw)

im only asking about the mocks bc my gcse’s are in 2 months and this would also benefit them also
I work best with mind maps, so it’s whatever works for you (eg flashcards, mind maps etc). For poetry, realistically they all link as they are in one cluster together, so try and remember like three in each theme eg three in power of nature, three in power of humans etc. Essentially try and make easy links between poems. Regarding Christmas Carol, again just make genetic links, as you can easily manipulate question (eg if it says show how __ is presented, you could easily say it isn’t). Just have lots of quotes that link to many themes!
Original post by jackjarvis29

Hi,
I have a technique for creating your own revision material. Sometimes it's best to do your own so it can stick better in your memory, but if this doesn't work for you I'm so sorry!
Regardless of what you're studying (I do not do Christmas Carol), this method should work. It took me about an hour and a half to make entire Blood Brothers, with the added help of my revision books. If you do not have any, its worth asking your teacher if they have any resources to lend/give to you.
Here's the method:

Make summary on Settings and Context

Summary on each Key Theme [At least 3 quotations with brief analysis for each theme]

Summary on Characters [At least 3 quotations with brief analysis for each character]

Apply your knowledge using Practice Paper/Questions

Some tips for practice:

Always have at least 2 interpretations to compare

Use a structure if you struggle to word your essay questions [e.g. PETELWAC]
Point
Evidence
Technique
Explain
Language
Writers intent
Audience interpretation
Context

Enjoy!
Original post by ebyrne2036
There should be a search bar on Quizlet and you just type in the topic and resources that are already Made come up

thanks
Have a look at the Teachit English website. Although primarily aimed at teachers, there are a lot of free resources I found useful. There will definitely be some for A Christmas Carol.

Quick Reply

Latest