The Student Room Group

My girlfriend didn't get my anything for my birthday?

For background: My girlfriend makes a lot of money (she's a doctor) and is very well off (she comes from money and her family are all successful too). She kept asking me what I wanted for my birthday and I told her that her being with me would be the best gift (we live in different cities and don't see each other as often as I would like) so I told her that I didn't want anything material. Since she kept asking me though, I expected that she would have got me something anyways because that's the type of person she is. Come to find out she didn't get me a gift, she did take me to dinner but I was kind of disappointed but didn't tell her. Anyways, she's doing her holiday shopping right now and I see her buying extravagant things for her siblings (she's buying her sister diamond earrings, her brother a new computer and gaming set-just to give you an idea of the type of money she has). So I kind of made a comment saying wow you can buy them all this stuff but didn't think to get me anything on my birthday. She got upset and said that I told her I didn't want anything and that I should have communicated what I wanted to her and that she can't read minds. I got upset and told her that at least she should have got me something if she has the money for it.. Isn't she being unreasonable right now?
ummm
would luv to agree wth u
but its not deep
like yh she SHOULD of
but cuz u sed u didnt want anything but to see her more often and she took you to dinner
i guess she thought she made up for it
and if ur recently started dating then ig she cant read ur brain
but if you dated for along time
then ig it makes sense
but i guessing cuz she asked u what u wanted it was ur first birthday together
Reply 3
Don't worry christmas is coming up so you can rinse her then, ask her for a new iphone or something
"I asked my girlfriend not to get me anything, and then got upset because she didn't get me anything."
Yikes.
Original post by Anonymous #1
For background: My girlfriend makes a lot of money (she's a doctor) and is very well off (she comes from money and her family are all successful too). She kept asking me what I wanted for my birthday and I told her that her being with me would be the best gift (we live in different cities and don't see each other as often as I would like) so I told her that I didn't want anything material. Since she kept asking me though, I expected that she would have got me something anyways because that's the type of person she is. Come to find out she didn't get me a gift, she did take me to dinner but I was kind of disappointed but didn't tell her. Anyways, she's doing her holiday shopping right now and I see her buying extravagant things for her siblings (she's buying her sister diamond earrings, her brother a new computer and gaming set-just to give you an idea of the type of money she has). So I kind of made a comment saying wow you can buy them all this stuff but didn't think to get me anything on my birthday. She got upset and said that I told her I didn't want anything and that I should have communicated what I wanted to her and that she can't read minds. I got upset and told her that at least she should have got me something if she has the money for it.. Isn't she being unreasonable right now?

No, no, no, no... Is this post a trolling effort? I would wonder?

In any case this rubbish comes about in modern society. Modern society tells us that we should express such virtue as it makes us look good, 'you don't need to get me something as all I want is you'. Unless we really mean it though it's just fake, phoney and meaningless. Worse it covers up who we are and worse still if found out as you have been it makes our words lack integrity as how can she now believe it take you as meaning anything you now say?

If you want a gift then tell her you want a gift and if you have a specific gift in mind so as to not be disappointed then tell her. So long as she goes out to buy the gift it tells you she cares enough to do that. If she's a Doctor she is no doubt short of time so she has spent a lot of time and hence effort asking you that she can ill afford to waste. It's a drag keep having to ask someone and get nowhere. So the fault here is entirely yours. Forget the false virtue signalling we don't all want to be with saints anyway just real people. Instead let her know what you want and what you like, apologize to her before she dumps you in case that is on her mind, and be real in future if she dumps you for being that then she's the wrong girl for you anyway.
Some gold digging boyfriend you are, what has your girlfriend profession and the money she makes got to do with her buying you a gift you make the effort to make her feel spoilt the gesture of a dinner is the smallest and tiniest yet the biggest thing of her way of making it up to you.
You were asked what you wanted, you said her company, and you got it - and dinner too! If you wanted a gift you should have said so when asked.

Your comment was uncalled for and paints you as jealous and ungrateful. You can't say you don't want a gift and then be mad when you don't get one - that's a mind game.
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by Anonymous #1

she took you to dinner, Isn't that classed as a gift to you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending