The Student Room Group

Does my life suck?

I'm a 17-year-old sixth former, I only have about 2-3 good friends and a girlfriend for 4 months, I'm always at home and go out about once every 2-3 months, I've never been invited to any parties/ raves, I've never had a taste of alcohol, never vaped. Me and my girlfriend still Haven't done it because we haven't found a place.

My life is pretty much, wake up, go to school, maybe spend some time with my gf after school and then go back home and usually play Minecraft or do some revision, On weekends, I wake up at around 8-9 and then I'm at home pretty much all day. Is my life that bad or am I exaggerating

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you're content with it then it can't be bad. And if you really hated it then you'd change
Reply 2
Original post by nuggetspam
If you're content with it then it can't be bad. And if you really hated it then you'd change

Hi, Thanks for reaching out, I'm not sure, sometimes I wish I could live a bit more because I'm a naturally extroverted person, but I have immigrant parents, who are quite strict about everything, they say I'm only allowed to go out once every term break, which makes life a lot more complicated. How much would you rate my life compared to that of an average 17-year-old?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi, Thanks for reaching out, I'm not sure, sometimes I wish I could live a bit more because I'm a naturally extroverted person, but I have immigrant parents, who are quite strict about everything, they say I'm only allowed to go out once every term break, which makes life a lot more complicated. How much would you rate my life compared to that of an average 17-year-old?

My brother is almost like you except he is gradually becoming more of a socialite, he has more friends now but with more friends just comes more trouble basically. Personally, I think your life is pretty decent. You're not addicted to drugs, you're not an alcoholic, you're not in debt and the list goes on. About your parents and their strictness, you're always going to want what you don't have. Just think of the opposite side of the spectrum to you - allowed to much freedom and messed up their life. You have a girlfriend, which is a novelty nowadays. In shorter terms, it could be worse.

Maybe what you miss is a bit of challenge. If you want to be sensible, you probably shouldn't excite your life with drugs and alcohol. Go to the gym if you are allowed. Get a job idk. Maybe you should watch the self-improvement youtubers. You seem exactly like their target audience so maybe it will do you good?

I don't know your full situation and I might have just got the completely wrong idea but it sounds like your unhappy. So sit and think hard about what you are gonna do about it.

Also, don't compare yourself to others, it won't get you anywhere
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 4
Thanks man, this felt quite good to read and might start looking into jobs, I used to have a gym membership but my parents cancelled it cuz I spent too much time there. Honestly, It's a mix of feeling lonely, and not being able to relate myself to any of the things my mates post about online, I'm not sure how to feel grateful for my life at this moment, Because I've just today got out of a bit of a situationship with my gf, all my friends are always out and about partying or doing something, I just don't want to be left behind on things, You would assume me being home all the time with no life means I would excel in my academic life, but nah, I'm still getting bad grades on there
Reply 5
Thanks man, this felt quite good to read and might start looking into jobs, I used to have a gym membership but my parents cancelled it cuz I spent too much time there. Honestly, It's a mix of feeling lonely, and not being able to relate myself to any of the things my mates post about online, I'm not sure how to feel grateful for my life at this moment, Because I've just today got out of a bit of a situationship with my gf, all my friends are always out and about partying or doing something, I just don't want to be left behind on things, You would assume me being home all the time with no life means I would excel in my academic life, but nah, I'm still getting bad grades on there

You're not the only one. Honestly gratitude is the secret to happiness. I know you find it hard but it really is the best thing to do when you're really down. Job would be a good idea might give you a bit of purpose. Either way, the only way for things to change is by you doing something, so there is nothing to lose.
Reply 6
Original post by nuggetspam
You're not the only one. Honestly gratitude is the secret to happiness. I know you find it hard but it really is the best thing to do when you're really down. Job would be a good idea might give you a bit of purpose. Either way, the only way for things to change is by you doing something, so there is nothing to lose.

Thanks, I'll start looking for jobs, is it cool if I priv message you whenever so that it's quite chill to talk to someone?
Reply 7
Thanks, I'll start looking for jobs, is it cool if I priv message you whenever so that it's quite chill to talk to someone?

yea no problem
Reply 8
I'm a 17-year-old sixth former, I only have about 2-3 good friends and a girlfriend for 4 months, I'm always at home and go out about once every 2-3 months, I've never been invited to any parties/ raves, I've never had a taste of alcohol, never vaped. Me and my girlfriend still Haven't done it because we haven't found a place.

My life is pretty much, wake up, go to school, maybe spend some time with my gf after school and then go back home and usually play Minecraft or do some revision, On weekends, I wake up at around 8-9 and then I'm at home pretty much all day. Is my life that bad or am I exaggerating

Mate, are you a lunatic? So you have actually good friends you can trust, you are responsible and avoid recreational substances AND you have a girlfriend who LOVES YOU? You are very lucky, trust me. Try to do more with your friends and/or girlfriend outside of school and you'll be happy as Larry all day long. Seems you are doing cracking!

PS: Wait till marriage, bro trust.
Reply 9
Original post by WilfredTC
Mate, are you a lunatic? So you have actually good friends you can trust, you are responsible and avoid recreational substances AND you have a girlfriend who LOVES YOU? You are very lucky, trust me. Try to do more with your friends and/or girlfriend outside of school and you'll be happy as Larry all day long. Seems you are doing cracking!

PS: Wait till marriage, bro trust.

Thanks bro, needed to hear that, why do u say wait till marriage? 😂

If you're unhappy with it, then yeah it is bad.
Get a job so you can meet more people or occasionally try to lie to your parents about how ur going to work but your meeting up with ur gf or smt like that.
Loads of people go to the gym which can help socializing.
If i had parents like that it would drive me up the walls, going out only once every 2-3 months is not going to be good and its also sad bc so many kids do it. Just wait till ur 18 and then u start start pulling the adult card on them. Do they not allow you to go for friends birthdays or anything? What do they say when they ask? Ur a teenage ffs, you should be enjoying the time you have rn.
I dont understand why parents do this to their kids, either insecurity or they hate you i swear. Mine used to be strict when i was 15/16 but i wore them down.(i'm 18 now)
Don't get addicted to alochol and dont get addicted to vaping. As long as you do that, ur having a better life than half of the uk i swear
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous #2
If you're unhappy with it, then yeah it is bad.
Get a job so you can meet more people or occasionally try to lie to your parents about how ur going to work but your meeting up with ur gf or smt like that.
Loads of people go to the gym which can help socializing.
If i had parents like that it would drive me up the walls, going out only once every 2-3 months is not going to be good and its also sad bc so many kids do it. Just wait till ur 18 and then u start start pulling the adult card on them. Do they not allow you to go for friends birthdays or anything? What do they say when they ask? Ur a teenage ffs, you should be enjoying the time you have rn.
I dont understand why parents do this to their kids, either insecurity or they hate you i swear. Mine used to be strict when i was 15/16 but i wore them down.(i'm 18 now)
Don't get addicted to alochol and dont get addicted to vaping. As long as you do that, ur having a better life than half of the uk i swear

Thanks for responding, I'm allowed to go out for my friends birthday parties and stuff but only if they know the parents and the kid, When I try and use the adult card they say as long your living under my roof and I'm paying for you, you will listen to what I have to say
Yeh it does
Life isn't Skins (or whatever the current equivalent of that which doesn't heavily date my age). You're doing fine.

Your life doesn't suck unless you feel awful. If you're happy with the few friends you have then the amount doesn't really matter. Parties/raves aren't all that, some people just don't enjoy them. And not drinking doesn't make you a loser - I don't but I still get invited to parties and things, some people may make you feel like that but that's because they normally are jealous that they can't have as much fun unless they're drinking. Drinking is fine, just don't do it excessively if you are going to try.

If you're feeling like you need more variety maybe ask your friends to hangout more - like suggest a trip to the cinema, group study session, gaming marathon - anything you want. It sounds to me like you've just fallen into a bit of a routine and seem a bit bored, so try doing something different every week to make it more exciting.
Reply 15
Thanks bro, I'll give it a try and see how it goes

this is a good simple life, cherrish it, before you lose it

be proud of yourself to be a virgin , never do vape and alcohol than those disgusting people who do all that
be like that
Hey, your live doesn’t suck, its great that you stick with the same thing throughout the week, and don’t worry if you don’t get invited to the party or rave or anything like that. Sometimes it’s better to be at home and just chill. You just started your live and you have a lot of things to discover and it will come to you when you need it. Trust me!
Reply 19

Sounds great. I didn't have a gf at 6th form and frankly no true friends either so you are winning there. Sex is great but there is plenty of time for that later so you're not missing anything there either. And as for work - well your job right now is to get some good A-levels so you are doing the right thing. You will notice that those who drink, vape and go to parties every week tend not to do so well / drop out. You have the rest of your life to look forward to and if you get the next two years right will have a firm basis on which to do anything.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending