The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Universities

I want to do data science for uni and don’t know what to choose between city university of London or University of Sheffield
Can someone please help me with this decision
Well, do you want to live in London or Sheffield? That's a pretty significant initial factor to consider.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Well, do you want to live in London or Sheffield? That's a pretty significant initial factor to consider.

Well i live in London so I guess it would be easier but I don’t really mind . It’s mainly about what university would be better for me career wise
Original post by Noor344
Well i live in London so I guess it would be easier but I don’t really mind . It’s mainly about what university would be better for me career wise

That depends on what career you want to go into. For investment banking or management consulting, City. For anything else they're really equivocal.
Reply 4
Original post by Noor344

Sheffield is the significantly better uni.
Reply 5
That depends on what career you want to go into. For investment banking or management consulting, City. For anything else they're really equivocal.

"For investment banking or management consulting, City."

Sorry that's just utter nonsense.
Reply 6

Data science
Reply 7
Original post by Laffer
Sheffield is the significantly better uni.

I heard that but wasn’t too sure still
Original post by Noor344
Data science

My impression is which university you go to isn't really a factor for that and similar areas in the computing sector. It's more about your ability to actually pass technical interviews and similar.
Reply 9
My impression is which university you go to isn't really a factor for that and similar areas in the computing sector. It's more about your ability to actually pass technical interviews and similar.

Okay thank you
Reply 10
Original post by Noor344
Okay thank you

Please be careful listening to the "advice" you get on here. This individual has talked about their "impression" of how data science would be viewed from different unis and given advice on investment banking and consultancy. However, I would seriously question what experience they have that provides them the insight to give such advice. Have they ever worked in Data Science or IB for example, what university did they go to? What was their degree in etc.
It's good you're discussing it, but I would recommend also looking at league tables, talking to people in the industry and getting an understanding of target universities for your career path. There are a lot of people on here who are overly willing to give their opinion but without any experience or insight that would make it useful.
Reply 11
Original post by Laffer
Please be careful listening to the "advice" you get on here. This individual has talked about their "impression" of how data science would be viewed from different unis and given advice on investment banking and consultancy. However, I would seriously question what experience they have that provides them the insight to give such advice. Have they ever worked in Data Science or IB for example, what university did they go to? What was their degree in etc.
It's good you're discussing it, but I would recommend also looking at league tables, talking to people in the industry and getting an understanding of target universities for your career path. There are a lot of people on here who are overly willing to give their opinion but without any experience or insight that would make it useful.

Thank you so much . And you’re right tbh I was also thinking of asking people who have experience in that career for more advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending