The Student Room Group

Why is it important to reflect on your uni experience in the holidays

Hi guys
University can be a daunting time and a lot to process. It’s helpful to use the holidays as a time to reflect on what’s happened in the term. Decide what went well and what you want to do better next term. Which friends made a positive impact on your life and which may have had a less positive affect.
How has everyone found uni? Did freshers live up to expectations? Was second year more or less work than the first? And do you feel reedy to graduate if you’re in third year?

Best wishes
Emily
Reply 1
I wonder how useful some of this navel-gazing really is. Surely you know at the time what is going well and what isn't, and thus can work out how to make the changes as you go. Not everything needs a stopgap evaluation.

I tell my lot to use the holidays to empty their heads and regroup, not to philosophise about the nature of their experience.
Original post by Manchester Met - Student Rep
Hi guys
University can be a daunting time and a lot to process. It’s helpful to use the holidays as a time to reflect on what’s happened in the term. Decide what went well and what you want to do better next term. Which friends made a positive impact on your life and which may have had a less positive affect.
How has everyone found uni? Did freshers live up to expectations? Was second year more or less work than the first? And do you feel reedy to graduate if you’re in third year?

Best wishes
Emily

Hi Emily,

I think reflecting on some of the experiences of the last term is a great thing to do as we move into the winter break. It's likely the first real break for a lot of students, and with it being the new year, it means that we can set some new goals for ourselves!

Personally, I have just finished my first semester of studying abroad in the US. I have absolutely loved my experience so far - the location, activities, academics, and people are so wonderful, and I am extremely grateful of what I am able to do. However, I am also thinking about the time I have left, the things I would like to experience and get involved in, and what I should expect and prepare for in my final year.

Remember to look at both the positives and negatives of the year, and consider what you'd like to change or keep the same as you move into the next term. An important thing to note though, as it has been mentioned, is that the holidays are also a time to take a break from your studies. Relax, have some fun, and enjoy some well-deserved time off!

Isabella 🙂
Third-year Geography with a Year Abroad Student
Original post by Chester Student
Hi Emily,

I think reflecting on some of the experiences of the last term is a great thing to do as we move into the winter break. It's likely the first real break for a lot of students, and with it being the new year, it means that we can set some new goals for ourselves!

Personally, I have just finished my first semester of studying abroad in the US. I have absolutely loved my experience so far - the location, activities, academics, and people are so wonderful, and I am extremely grateful of what I am able to do. However, I am also thinking about the time I have left, the things I would like to experience and get involved in, and what I should expect and prepare for in my final year.

Remember to look at both the positives and negatives of the year, and consider what you'd like to change or keep the same as you move into the next term. An important thing to note though, as it has been mentioned, is that the holidays are also a time to take a break from your studies. Relax, have some fun, and enjoy some well-deserved time off!

Isabella 🙂

Hi Isabella
What an amazing opportunity to study in the US how did you manage to do this! This is such a brilliant way to reflect, I’m glad you have had such a brilliant time.

Best wishes
Emily
Original post by Manchester Met - Student Rep
Hi Isabella
What an amazing opportunity to study in the US how did you manage to do this! This is such a brilliant way to reflect, I’m glad you have had such a brilliant time.

Best wishes
Emily

Hi Emily,

It really has been a wonderful experience so far! Reflecting now is a great way to wrap up the first term, as well as the year.

For me, it was already 'built-in' as part of my course. I also believe it is possible for students to incorporate it into their studies and go abroad for different periods of time, e.g., a few weeks, a semester, a full year. It was an early and big decision for me to make back in Year 13, but it was definitely the best decision I have made.

Wishing you a happy New Year and a positive start to the second term,

Isabella
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Chester Student
Hi Emily,

It really has been a wonderful experience so far! Reflecting now is a great way to wrap up the first term, as well as the year.

For me, it was already 'built-in' as part of my course. I also believe it is possible for students to incorporate it into their studies and go abroad for different periods of time, e.g., a few weeks, a semester, a full year. It was an early and big decision for me to make back in Year 13, but it was definitely the best decision I have made.

Wishing you a happy New Year and a positive start to the second term,

Isabella

Hi Isabella,
This is such a good idea to incorporate this into the uni course! Thats brilliant I’m glad you found it so beneficial!
Have a good new year
Emily

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending