The Student Room Group

Have I done enough to get into med?

So I've been predicted A*s in chem and bio and an A in maths (trying to get it up to an A*).
I've done work experience in the ENT department at the hospital (was in the OT one day, shadowed a junior doctor in the A&E the next day and followed around an ENT consultant and maxillofacial consultant the next day), the psychiatry department in the hospital, volunteered at a care home and am currently in the process of arranging some work experience with a GP.
I'm also planning on doing the bio olympiad and I've done around 7 years of classical dance and I'm running medsoc at my school, I've also volunteered to do dissections multiple times during open days and science festivals, but I'm worried that in comparison to everyone else, it's not enough. I'm planning on applying to UCL, imperial (not too sure about this one actually), UEA and ARU for med.
Should I be doing an EPQ? Would that help?
I know loads of people at my school who've done certain courses online and have lots of certificates and certifications and I'm constantly worrying about not being "as good" as them and not being as strong of an applicant as them.
I really have no idea if I've done enough and if not, what more can I do?
(edited 10 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by _h.ya_
So I've been predicted A*s in chem and bio and possibly in maths too (the minimum would be an A though, I haven't got the predicted grade for maths yet).
I've done work experience in the ENT department at the hospital (was in the OT one day, shadowed a junior doctor in the A&E the next day and followed around an ENT consultant and maxillofacial consultant the next day), the psychiatry department in the hospital, volunteered at a care home and am currently in the process of arranging some work experience with a GP.
I'm also planning on doing the bio olympiad and I've done around 7 years of classical dance and I'm running medsoc at my school, I've also volunteered to do dissections multiple times during open days and science festivals, but I'm worried that in comparison to everyone else, it's not enough. I'm planning on applying to UCL, imperial (not too sure about this one actually), UEA and ARU for med.

You really have no idea if you've done enough? Really?
Original post by _h.ya_
So I've been predicted A*s in chem and bio and possibly in maths too (the minimum would be an A though, I haven't got the predicted grade for maths yet).

You’ve done enough. I’d say that if your personal statement gets you an interview and you’re able to discuss current affairs relating to medicine (like NHS strikes and the reasons for them), then you’d be a strong applicant.
Reply 3
Original post by Democracy
You really have no idea if you've done enough? Really?

I go to a grammar school that constantly pushes us to do more, there's people that have multiple certifications and awards and I haven't really got any of that stuff, so I'm constantly fretting about not being "as good." I'm sorry for not clarifying
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by SagaciousSag
You’ve done enough. I’d say that if your personal statement gets you an interview and you’re able to discuss current affairs relating to medicine (like NHS strikes and the reasons for them), then you’d be a strong applicant.

thank you!! that's really reassuring!
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by _h.ya_
I know loads of people at my school who've done certain courses online and have lots of certificates and certifications and I'm constantly worrying about not being "as good" as them and not being as strong of an applicant as them.

A lot will be based off of your BMAT and/or UCAT score too, once you have those scores you can roughly gauge where to apply to
Original post by Lewis T K
A lot will be based off of your BMAT and/or UCAT score too, once you have those scores you can roughly gauge where to apply to

precisely, no point in very strong academics if you're UCAT or BMAT is very low. You reeeeally narrow your chances
Reply 7
Original post by Lewis T K

This is really important.

Do not narrow your application too much by picking schools / colleges now. You will need to attain strong ucat / bmat scores and that takes a bit of focus and the outcome of the UCAT in particular will help you be strategic. So preferably aim for an earlier date and know what your strategic choices for UCAT are. For the BMAT unis if you will def apply to them perhaps go to the open days this summer. Its pot luck as you wont know your bmat score.

It does sound as though you have had the opportunity to do a good range of med experience. But bear in mind that very very few unis really look at the PS in depth to select for interview. Its more about how you REFLECT on what you have seen that is important.

Finding some public facing work over the summer working in a restaurant /shop /waitressing would help boost the people skills for reflection. Again its what you learn from it for your interviews rather than a box ticking exercise for the application itself.

Good luck.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by GGIN
This is really important.

Do not narrow your application too much by picking schools / colleges now. You will need to attain strong ucat / bmat scores and that takes a bit of focus and the outcome of the UCAT in particular will help you be strategic. So preferably aim for an earlier date and know what your strategic choices for UCAT are. For the BMAT unis if you will def apply to them perhaps go to the open days this summer. Its pot luck as you wont know your bmat score.

It does sound as though you have had the opportunity to do a good range of med experience. But bear in mind that very very few unis really look at the PS in depth to select for interview. Its more about how you REFLECT on what you have seen that is important.

Finding some public facing work over the summer working in a restaurant /shop /waitressing would help boost the people skills for reflection. Again its what you learn from it for your interviews rather than a box ticking exercise for the application itself.

Good luck.

My teachers keep telling me to pick one BMAT and three UCAT unis because the BMAT testing date is after we submit our UCAS application, is that a reasonable thing to do?
Original post by _h.ya_
My teachers keep telling me to pick one BMAT and three UCAT unis because the BMAT testing date is after we submit our UCAS application, is that a reasonable thing to do?

Take the UCAT first and see how you do. If you tank the UCAT then your best bet is probably to try and do really well on the BMAT and apply to all BMAT unis, or avoid unis that put much weight on the UCAT (which is probably mainly GCSE heavy medical schools).

If you do very well in the UCAT then there's no real need or reason to do the BMAT unless you really want to apply to a BMAT uni as well...but that's a bit of a gamble and you'd improve your odds of getting an offer (or at least interview) at all by using that high UCAT score to just apply to another UCAT heavy medical school, I think!
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 10
Original post by _h.ya_

Depends on how well you do in the ucat. If you're dead set on oxbridge, then obviously pick the BMAT. HOwever, say if you score 3000+ in the UCAT I'd say go for either all UCAT or 3 UCAT + 1 BMAT. If you score a 2600 or lower, then 1 UCAT and 3 BMAT. SOmething like that.
Reply 11
Original post by _h.ya_

Personally i think it is extremely important to be strategic.

You cannot be very strategic with BMAT applications as you sit the exam after you apply. There are nuances with application policies and some tactical stuff that others can advise on. But i certainly think it would be a bold choice to put all eggs in that basket without UCAT to fall back on.

If you prep well and do well in your UCAT that helps you be much more strategic with your application.

If you get a high UCAT score then you can be moderately confident if you apply that you might get an interview if you are strategic so you could be more confident in taking the "risk" of putting a BMAT uni down.

If someone gets a low UCAT score that is unlikely to meet the application thresholds and make it harder to be successfully strategic (and UCAT blips do happen), then they might think oh I've got nothing to lose and push all 4 BMATs.

Its why it helps (in my view) if you can do your UCAT early cos then you can take advice on the what uni megathread on what your next steps might be and you can then decide how much focus you need to give to BMAT revision.

2 and 2 is an option. But only you can decide this, and i would suggest, ideally, in the context of your UCAT score.

Also, go, find and read the application policy for your (megathread suggested) choices and see what emphasis if any they put on PS, (most seem to ignore it at selection for interview) but those that do use it may like to see specific things.

Long ramble but hopefully may be useful.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 12
Original post by GGIN
Personally i think it is extremely important to be strategic.

You cannot be very strategic with BMAT applications as you sit the exam after you apply. There are nuances with application policies and some tactical stuff that others can advise on. But i certainly think it would be a bold choice to put all eggs in that basket without UCAT to fall back on.

If you prep well and do well in your UCAT that helps you be much more strategic with your application.

If you get a high UCAT score then you can be moderately confident if you apply that you might get an interview if you are strategic so you could be more confident in taking the "risk" of putting a BMAT uni down.

If someone gets a low UCAT score that is unlikely to meet the application thresholds and make it harder to be successfully strategic (and UCAT blips do happen), then they might think oh I've got nothing to lose and push all 4 BMATs.

Its why it helps (in my view) if you can do your UCAT early cos then you can take advice on the what uni megathread on what your next steps might be and you can then decide how much focus you need to give to BMAT revision.

2 and 2 is an option. But only you can decide this, and i would suggest, ideally, in the context of your UCAT score.

Also, go, find and read the application policy for your (megathread suggested) choices and see what emphasis if any they put on PS, (most seem to ignore it at selection for interview) but those that do use it may like to see specific things.

Long ramble but hopefully may be useful.

that makes so much sense! thank you!!
Original post by _h.ya_

Mate your CV looks awesome!

Coming from a private school background, I felt really mediocre in your position as well. Don't let this get you down, though - I was in a dire situation compared to my mates around GCSEs and I pulled it back to get into UCLMS somehow!

But as everyone else has said, the BMAT, UCAT, and how you actually do in your A-Levels are really important.

There are different priorities that universities give to different things, so do some research into those and apply strategically! Any specific advice would probably be quite useless now, since I applied around a good few years ago, but I did quite well in my UCAT, so I applied to 2 unis that prioritised the UCAT more over any other attributes, and 2 BMAT unis just to give myself an even chance.

You've got yourself an amazing foundation to be an excellent candidate, just focus on doing well on UCAT and BMAT (though some of that is random luck in my experience), and writing a banger PS (not hard with your credentials). Interview practice is really really important too, for the different interview systems, but that's for after you get interviews.

Good luck, you can do it!
Reply 14
Original post by EnglishKoreanman
Mate your CV looks awesome!

Coming from a private school background, I felt really mediocre in your position as well. Don't let this get you down, though - I was in a dire situation compared to my mates around GCSEs and I pulled it back to get into UCLMS somehow!

But as everyone else has said, the BMAT, UCAT, and how you actually do in your A-Levels are really important.

There are different priorities that universities give to different things, so do some research into those and apply strategically! Any specific advice would probably be quite useless now, since I applied around a good few years ago, but I did quite well in my UCAT, so I applied to 2 unis that prioritised the UCAT more over any other attributes, and 2 BMAT unis just to give myself an even chance.

You've got yourself an amazing foundation to be an excellent candidate, just focus on doing well on UCAT and BMAT (though some of that is random luck in my experience), and writing a banger PS (not hard with your credentials). Interview practice is really really important too, for the different interview systems, but that's for after you get interviews.

Good luck, you can do it!

that's really helpful, thank you so much!!
Original post by _h.ya_

Hi Hya!

I'm one of the current MBBS students at UCLan.
It looks like you have had some amazing work experience so far, well done! The point of a lot of the work experience is to be able to take what you have learnt from it and during your interviews and personal statement, be able to reflect on how this is going to make you a good medical student and reflect on what you have learnt so far and how this will influence you in the future. I've linked here our applicant guide, which explains what our university looks for in each bit of your application.

I hope this helps you and if you have any other questions, let me know below !

Rebecca - 3rd Year MBBS
Reply 16
I think that's plenty, but I am a but a nonbritish highschooler infiltrating this site who researched the psychiatry qualification process for a month
Reply 17
bro u need to chill, i got 3 grade 5’s at GCSE and I’m going into third year of medicine

you’ll be fineee
Most humble and least qualified pre-med student :eviltongue:
Original post by UCLan Student
Hi Hya!

I'm one of the current MBBS students at UCLan.
It looks like you have had some amazing work experience so far, well done! The point of a lot of the work experience is to be able to take what you have learnt from it and during your interviews and personal statement, be able to reflect on how this is going to make you a good medical student and reflect on what you have learnt so far and how this will influence you in the future. I've linked here our applicant guide, which explains what our university looks for in each bit of your application.

I hope this helps you and if you have any other questions, let me know below !

Rebecca - 3rd Year MBBS

Hi,
How's the selection going to be this year as BMAT was quite hard. When do I start my interview preps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending