The Student Room Group

personal statement help

I'm not sure whether my situation is going to benefit me or do the opposite, of my personal statement because I have done a taster session day in biomedical science, work experience at a dental practice and work experience for two weeks at two different pharmacies, I have also done a few virtual work experiences (speakers for schools) for nursing, as you can see I've gained a lot of insight and experience on different the different job sectors within healthcare. however, I'm not sure if this is a good thing because I think some unis might view me as an indecisive person and will think of me as someone who will quickly transfer out to the course, or if they understand that I've assured myself of the course I want to do as I've experienced the others and chose this as this was the best.

I wanted to gain your opinions on this :smile:
You shouldn’t list everything in your PS. You should pick out one or two experiences and talk about them in detail. Reflecting on what you enjoyed and what you found difficult and what you would do differently with the benefit of hindsight.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
You shouldn’t list everything in your PS. You should pick out one or two experiences and talk about them in detail. Reflecting on what you enjoyed and what you found difficult and what you would do differently with the benefit of hindsight.

thank you, i appreciate your advice however I have been told all throughout my year that we should write down everything weve done, is there a reason why you think it is better to write in detail about just a few? I was thinking about this but then considered just mentioning all of them and then writing in detail about only one or two
Original post by sima:)
thank you, i appreciate your advice however I have been told all throughout my year that we should write down everything weve done, is there a reason why you think it is better to write in detail about just a few? I was thinking about this but then considered just mentioning all of them and then writing in detail about only one or two

You should personally write down details of everything - so that when you draft your PS you can remember relevant information and details.

listing everything and then going into detail about a couple is a waste of space better used for more details/reflections.

what course are you actually applying for?
Reply 4
Thanks for the advice:smile: i will mention my experiences and write in detail and reflect on relevant work experiences then
(edited 9 months ago)
I agree with PQ's comments about focussing on a couple of the most relevant experiences.

Remember, your referee can always list the less important ones :smile:

Another way to think about it is that listing things is of no benefit, (anyone can say they read a book, completed a MOC or undertook a placement). Selectors are looking for people with insight into the subject, reflecting critically on whatever it is they're writing about.
Original post by sima:)
I'm not sure whether my situation is going to benefit me or do the opposite, of my personal statement because I have done a taster session day in biomedical science, work experience at a dental practice and work experience for two weeks at two different pharmacies, I have also done a few virtual work experiences (speakers for schools) for nursing, as you can see I've gained a lot of insight and experience on different the different job sectors within healthcare. however, I'm not sure if this is a good thing because I think some unis might view me as an indecisive person and will think of me as someone who will quickly transfer out to the course, or if they understand that I've assured myself of the course I want to do as I've experienced the others and chose this as this was the best.

I wanted to gain your opinions on this :smile:

i did a speakers for schools thing too. put it in the extra activities section of the application i think.
Reply 7
Thank you all for the help, I will use all of this feedback when writing about my experiences and will ask my tutor to write about any less important ones while writing in detail and focusing on a couple of the most relevant experiences.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending