The Student Room Group

Imperial College or TU Delft?

Hello guys! I am super happy because both TU Delft and Imperial College have given me an offer for the course I wanted.

To start with, I have managed to get a place for Aerospace Engineering at TU Delft, and I am only asked for Physics and Maths pass with more than a C to study there. Further on, it is much much cheaper than Imperial College (and any English university, as it is virtually free with no loans whatsoever), it is ranked higher on the rankings for that subject (#1 in Europe, above Cambridge and Imperial), and it is in Europe, which gives me more confidence as I am European and am scared that there will be problems with Brexit.

On the other hand, we have been assured that for 2019-2020 undergraduates there will be a loan for the length of our course and that we will have the same rights as we've had until now, but as we all know with Brexit, you never know. Further on, living in London is extremely expensive when compared to Delft, which is a village (although in my opinion much more exciting, and I love the city!). However, Imperial College is much more prestigious and has been my dream university for years now, so I really want to go there, but I am scared that I am biased towards it and TU Delft is a much better choice. Finally, Imperial asks for A* Maths A* Physics and A Chemistry, which I am a little bit scared of not being able to get, even though they are my targets and that's what I got for the mock.

What are your thoughts? Thanks for reading!
(edited 5 years ago)
As an aero graduate I would go for TU Delft in a heartbeat were I in your position. Some of the opportunities they offer are really a step above what you can find at Imperial.

That said, assuming you didn't apply to TU Delft through UCAS you can probably get away with accepting both then waiting until A level results day to phone one of them and decline. Take the opportunity to investigate and visit them a bit more if you can.
Original post by JackusGomux
Hello guys! I am super happy because both TU Delft and Imperial College have given me an offer for the course I wanted.

To start with, I have managed to get a place for Aerospace Engineering at TU Delft, and I am only asked for Physics and Maths pass with more than a C to study there. Further on, it is much much cheaper than Imperial College (and any English university, as it is virtually free with no loans whatsoever), it is ranked higher on the rankings for that subject (#1 in Europe, above Cambridge and Imperial), and it is in Europe, which gives me more confidence as I am European and am scared that there will be problems with Brexit.

On the other hand, we have been assured that for 2019-2020 undergraduates there will be a loan for the length of our course and that we will have the same rights as we've had until now, but as we all know with Brexit, you never know. Further on, living in London is extremely expensive when compared to Delft, which is a village (although in my opinion much more exciting, and I love the city!). However, Imperial College is much more prestigious and has been my dream university for years now, so I really want to go there, but I am scared that I am biased towards it and TU Delft is a much better choice. Finally, Imperial asks for A* Maths A* Physics and A Chemistry, which I am a little bit scared of not being able to get, even though they are my targets and that's what I got for the mock.

What are your thoughts? Thanks for reading!

Hello, can you please tell me where did you finally went? I have to make the same decision for next year,thanks
Original post by JackusGomux

To add to the discussion above, I would check the dropout rates for the two courses, Imperial runs at sub 5% (there was a recent thread on this including links to FOI data) while Delft overall appears to lose 20% of its students by the end of year 2. I didnt find specific details for engineering at Delft however.

https://www.tudelft.nl/en/about-tu-delft/facts-and-figures/education/bachelor-drop-out/

It may be that Imperial has tougher entry and maths requirements on day 1, but is then less likely to lose students as a result. This is something you see in some European institutions, easier on entry, but if you start falling behind then you are dropped.
Reply 4
Hello, sorry for reviving this old post, but what did you end up doing? I'm in the exact same situation as you were 4 years ago.

Quick Reply

Latest