The Student Room Group

Social class prejudice and private schools in Britain

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rakas21
In terms of educational outcomes the average is actually not that different. The primary benefit to those types of schools is networking, attitude ECT..

Generally though I suspect that it's simply that the range in comprehensive schools is much larger. There are plenty of state schools in rural Wiltshire that probably do perform pretty well because you don't have a bunch of children born of immigrants or a large council estate stock while those in Leicester and Bradford are drawing in a much lower class cohort and parents less likely to push their children.

I recall a BBC show about grammar schools a whole ago that basically concluded that the losers in the state school system are not the A grade students who were likely smart or motivated enough anyway but the B/C/D grade students who in a private/grammar setting would have been pushed to A/B grades.

I don't think that immigration can be mostly to blame but class I can't disagree with.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
I think state school gives people more real world experience. The pupils meet people from more varied backgrounds.

I think this is a bit of a misnomer. I often hear people say that privately educated people lack “real world experience”, but just because their world is different from yours doesn’t make it any less “real”.

Private schools also contain people from varied backgrounds. The only difference is they vary more across the higher end of the wealth spectrum rather than the lower end. Some kids’ parents are teachers, others are royalty, and you have everything in between as well. At some private schools there are also many international students, which makes it even more varied.
Reply 22
Original post by Talkative Toad
I don't think that immigration can be mostly to blame but class I can't disagree with.

Not always, some groups such as Indians perform well but there are plenty of places where the children of migrants are considered disruptive.
Original post by tazarooni89
I think this is a bit of a misnomer. I often hear people say that privately educated people lack “real world experience”, but just because their world is different from yours doesn’t make it any less “real”.

Private schools also contain people from varied backgrounds. The only difference is they vary more across the higher end of the wealth spectrum rather than the lower end. Some kids’ parents are teachers, others are royalty, and you have everything in between as well. At some private schools there are also many international students, which makes it even more varied.

I mean many of the kids (at least in my year group) had the latest iPhone, branded clothing/eyewear (Adidas, Jordan, Nike, Gucci, Armani etc).

We're talking about a standard comprehensive state school.

So I don't know if my school was varied from a socioeconomic perspective anyway, even some of the people entitled to FSM somehow had the latest phone (iPhone X at the time) in their hand.

This isn't me being judgement or jealous but more to prove a point.

Despite this I can still agree with the other user.
Original post by Rakas21
Not always, some groups such as Indians perform well but there are plenty of places where the children of migrants are considered disruptive.

Yeah, so not always because of immigration, I believe that socioeconomic background and upbringing has the bigger impact (but yeah there has been a Gov report on this to suggest that Romas, Black Caribbeans and Irish travellers perform the worst).
I mean many of the kids (at least in my year group) had the latest iPhone, branded clothing/eyewear (Adidas, Jordan, Nike, Gucci, Armani etc).

We're talking about a standard comprehensive state school.

So I don't know if my school was varied from a socioeconomic perspective anyway, even some of the people entitled to FSM somehow had the latest phone (iPhone X at the time) in their hand.

This isn't me being judgement or jealous but more to prove a point.

I’d suggest it’s because although those things are relatively expensive compared to other clothes / phones etc. they’re not *that* expensive in the grand scheme of things (compared to say a car, a house, or a private education).

It generally tends to be the lower socioeconomic classes who are interested in those sorts of items and use them to display whatever wealth they do have, because they can still just about afford them. So it constitutes a sign of being at the higher end of that spectrum. Whereas very rich people, in order to display their wealth (if they really wanted to at all, that is) would do so by getting an expensive house, car, yacht or something like that depending on their income bracket. Branded clothes and the latest iPhones are so easily affordable to them that it wouldn’t really mean much to them in that sense.

I went to a private school and generally didn’t see students with branded clothing and the latest tech. Not that they wouldn’t have been able to afford it; it just wasn’t considered particularly important or relevant to have those things. I did see a lot of parents with brand new 4x4 cars and large houses in the suburbs / countryside though, or kids going on expensive ski trips and the like.

Despite this I can still agree with the other user.

Agree with the other user about what?
(edited 3 months ago)
I'm aware of this, but I'm comparing those types of school private schools, selective schools, boarding schools and grammar schools etc to your standard comprehensive state school and that I'm inclined to believe that on average (not in all cases), they are better than your bog-standard comprehensive state school.

That's not true - I've taught in a comp and a selective school. This comp got great results with students heading to top unis every year and some studnet ssstruggled to get a handful of GCSEs. Sixth formers worked harder than than many I teach now ....

All schools reflect their catchment so a comp in a wealthy area will be very different - all schools are selective to some extent.
I’d suggest it’s because although those things are relatively expensive compared to other clothes / phones etc. they’re not *that* expensive in the grand scheme of things (compared to say a car, a house, or a private education).

It generally tends to be the lower socioeconomic classes who are interested in those sorts of items and use them to display whatever wealth they do have, because they can still just about afford them. So it constitutes a sign of being at the higher end of that spectrum. Whereas very rich people, in order to display their wealth (if they really wanted to at all, that is) would do so by getting an expensive house, car, yacht or something like that depending on their income bracket. Branded clothes and the latest iPhones are so easily affordable to them that it wouldn’t really mean much to them in that sense.

I went to a private school and generally didn’t see students with branded clothing and the latest tech. Not that they wouldn’t have been able to afford it; it just wasn’t considered particularly important or relevant to have those things. I did see a lot of parents with brand new 4x4 cars and large houses in the suburbs / countryside though, or kids going on expensive ski trips and the like.

Agree with the other user about what?

Ah, I don't think that the kids in my school were rich, I'd label them more as fellow middle class (I didn't really feel like I saw kids in my year group from varied socioeconomic backgrounds based on what I've described above in a bog-standard state school). I'm essentially almost agreeing with you in a way. Yeah, some don't actually really have the money to buy the latest tech, branded clothing etc, but they do it anyway probably just as a flex or for attention, this gives me a new perspective.

I agree with the other user with this:
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
I think state school gives people more real world experience. The pupils meet people from more varied backgrounds.

The second part mainly/only (despite it not really being the case for me in Y7-Y11).
Original post by Muttley79
That's not true - I've taught in a comp and a selective school. This comp got great results with students heading to top unis every year and some studnet ssstruggled to get a handful of GCSEs. Sixth formers worked harder than than many I teach now ....

All schools reflect their catchment so a comp in a wealthy area will be very different - all schools are selective to some extent.

My comp state schools weren't in poor catchment areas AFAIK and one of them was good the other was pretty much rubbish
:dontknow: (when it came to teaching quality).

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=99042287&postcount=33

by Selective schools I'm, referring to both private and state ones (same thing with boarding and grammar).
The second part mainly/only (despite it not really being the case for me in Y7-Y11).

Ah okay. Personally I wouldn’t entirely agree with it; I think it really depends.

I don’t think a private school or a state school is necessarily more “varied” than the other in terms of the kinds of people you will meet; it depends on the school and many factors about it; number of pupils, location, academic selectivity, ofsted rating, boarding / day, how many bursaries and scholarships it offers etc.

Of course private schools aren’t going to be full of people whose parents are on minimum wage; but nor are most state schools going to be full of people whose parents are extremely rich either. And there are also more ways for a person’s background to vary than just by wealth (I earlier gave the example of some private schools having many international students).

Overall my point is, I don’t think this is black and white.
Ah okay. Personally I wouldn’t entirely agree with it; I think it really depends.

I don’t think a private school or a state school is necessarily more “varied” than the other in terms of the kinds of people you will meet; it depends on the school and many factors about it; number of pupils, location, academic selectivity, ofsted rating, boarding / day, how many bursaries and scholarships it offers etc.

Of course private schools aren’t going to be full of people whose parents are on minimum wage; but nor are most state schools going to be full of people whose parents are extremely rich either. And there are also more ways for a person’s background to vary than just by wealth (I earlier gave the example of some private schools having many international students).

Overall my point is, I don’t think this is black and white.

That’s a fair analysis.
It's about the connections you build, if you go to the right private schools of course. I am really curious though, is there a table that compares the results of all schools, private and state? If I had privately-educated children I would want value for my money.
Reply 32
Original post by username6653303
Back in the early 2000s, Edwardian politician Jacob Rees-Mogg said that state educated people are 'potted plants' and that only privately educated people should be allowed to run the country.

This is outright prejudice and is further evidence that Britain has always had a reputation for elitism.

For some reason, people who go to private school think they're better and superior to everyone else, when they haven't a clue what it's like to live in the real world.

What is wrong with educational competition - if that is what you mean by 'elitism'?

Btw - I can't name any 'Edwardian' politicians - can you?

We need more competition in schools used in a positive way, not mediocracy and false praise in attainment

Labour destroyed a very good system of schooling open to all - That educational system which Labour trashed enabled the brightest and best from all walks of life to be fast tracked into leadership roles in Government. That education was free at the point of use and it was all removed and dismantled and replaced with comprehensive schools. A new 'progressive' style of teaching just cemented the rot.

Labour took a wrecking ball to that World class educational system and replaced it with a system of comprehensive schools citing 'equality' for all. The result - the worst social 'failure' for generation after generation, which political parties and educational authorities could ever address (and still won't) If you were absolutely average you had no problem. But if you were very bright or needing extra support or supervision the comprehensive school did nothing for you. So now the same Labour party are hell bent on stopping private schools.

It is helpful to know how life operates at the sharp end of life; to be able to understand human behaviour at its worst in order to create coherent and practical effective public policy on the back of it. That used to happen when those with a high IQ and academic education could create sensible policy and had the foresight to see what the consequences would be of putting imaginative new policies into practice. The 'elite' have always creamed off leaders from public schools for the Government civil service or political stage. Mostly those individuals haven't a clue about the hard life in lawless wild west estates or life on benefits.

Labour do not want you to have choice they want their own state imposed and state controlled systems. The public schools with better academic results embarrass the state education system. The Irony is that most Labour leaders were educated at private schools, and push their children into private schools. Politicians wanting to trash public schools who want to do this should be questioned. They do not have the welfare of ordinary people at their heart and will always try to make you believe otherwise - if you are not bright enough to see through their intentions.
Original post by Muttly
What is wrong with educational competition - if that is what you mean by 'elitism'?

Btw - I can't name any 'Edwardian' politicians - can you?

We need more competition in schools used in a positive way, not mediocracy and false praise in attainment

Labour destroyed a very good system of schooling open to all - That educational system which Labour trashed enabled the brightest and best from all walks of life to be fast tracked into leadership roles in Government. That education was free at the point of use and it was all removed and dismantled and replaced with comprehensive schools. A new 'progressive' style of teaching just cemented the rot.

Labour took a wrecking ball to that World class educational system and replaced it with a system of comprehensive schools citing 'equality' for all. The result - the worst social 'failure' for generation after generation, which political parties and educational authorities could ever address (and still won't) If you were absolutely average you had no problem. But if you were very bright or needing extra support or supervision the comprehensive school did nothing for you. So now the same Labour party are hell bent on stopping private schools.

It is helpful to know how life operates at the sharp end of life; to be able to understand human behaviour at its worst in order to create coherent and practical effective public policy on the back of it. That used to happen when those with a high IQ and academic education could create sensible policy and had the foresight to see what the consequences would be of putting imaginative new policies into practice. The 'elite' have always creamed off leaders from public schools for the Government civil service or political stage. Mostly those individuals haven't a clue about the hard life in lawless wild west estates or life on benefits.

Labour do not want you to have choice they want their own state imposed and state controlled systems. The public schools with better academic results embarrass the state education system. The Irony is that most Labour leaders were educated at private schools, and push their children into private schools. Politicians wanting to trash public schools who want to do this should be questioned. They do not have the welfare of ordinary people at their heart and will always try to make you believe otherwise - if you are not bright enough to see through their intentions.

That's not true. I go to a grammar school and I know that our local comprehensives (we are in a poor area) give out so many opportunities to their students. They have robotics departments, invite economists, ambassadors, go on trips abroad (NOT just language trip). Most of the top students get creamed off so there is less competition here.

My school used to have a swimming pool where I learned swimming in Y7 which the Tory cuts forced them to shut. Teachers leave and we used to have supplies for very long periods of time while they never told us when we were gong to get selected for FM. Temporary teachers didn't know the content we hadn't been taught and mixed us up with other classes.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by username6653303
Back in the early 2000s, Edwardian politician Jacob Rees-Mogg said that state educated people are 'potted plants' and that only privately educated people should be allowed to run the country.
This is outright prejudice and is further evidence that Britain has always had a reputation for elitism.
For some reason, people who go to private school think they're better and superior to everyone else, when they haven't a clue what it's like to live in the real world.

I think you've taken (probably by accident) JRM's quote out of context.

Look it up, he was opposing contextual admissions, saying that it would be wrong for someone who was not academically up to Oxford's pace to be admitted based solely on improving diversity data. 'Potted plants' means someone that is 'planted' for a reason other than academic merit.

Not that I like him though, even as a member of the Conservative party. And I do think contextual admissions are needed.
Original post by MarkJewson
I think you've taken (probably by accident) JRM's quote out of context.
Look it up, he was opposing contextual admissions, saying that it would be wrong for someone who was not academically up to Oxford's pace to be admitted based solely on improving diversity data. 'Potted plants' means someone that is 'planted' for a reason other than academic merit.
Not that I like him though, even as a member of the Conservative party. And I do think contextual admissions are needed.

Well I might be bitter. But now we can have huge ethnic quotas, women in engineering and maths etc but try getting a white boy with the wrong accent in, at least 25 years ago. Probably today too given the data on white working class boys. Back then, dunno what it's like now, being regarded as middle class anywhere else in the country wasn't enough, you weren't RP and posh enough you were screwed.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending