The Student Room Group

Things to read over the summer

Hi,

I'm planning to take English Literature at A level (maybe even at Uni), and was wondering if anyone had any good book recommendations? Whether it would be a book on a topic that will likely be studied (I think immigration and books such as Small Island tend to be studied for example), or something that would help me look at literature from a new perspective, etc or perhaps just a really good read to enjoy. All in all any good recommendations?

Edit: I've just realised that this is posted under the wrong subject thread. Any way to change this?
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by .Amii.
Hi,

I'm planning to take English Literature at A level (maybe even at Uni), and was wondering if anyone had any good book recommendations? Whether it would be a book on a topic that will likely be studied (I think immigration and books such as Small Island tend to be studied for example), or something that would help me look at literature from a new perspective, etc or perhaps just a really good read to enjoy. All in all any good recommendations?

Edit: I've just realised that this is posted under the wrong subject thread. Any way to change this?

1984" by George Orwell: A dystopian novel that explores themes of totalitarianism, surveillance, and the power of language. "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen: A beloved novel that examines social class, love, and the role of women in 19th-century England. "Beloved" by Toni Morrison: A powerful novel that tackles the legacy of slavery and its impact on identity and family bonds.
Original post by .Amii.
Hi,

To add to ish_00's reply:

Never let me go by Kasuo Ishiguro - another dystopian novel in which some human life is reduced to its usefulness.

Any of these novels by Charles Dickens: David Copperfield, Great Expectations, A Tale of Two Cities, Oliver Twist. All brilliant classics.

Howard's End by E.M. Forster : social conventions, class conflict

Scoop by Evelyn Waugh : a short, brilliantly satirical novel about journalism - very topical in today's age of fake news!

Any collection of the short stories by Somerset Maugham, a particular master in the art of writing these.

Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck, an American author. This one's about migrant labour within the US but the theme is universal.

And for the joy of the language and the joy of intricate plots: P.G. Wodehouse. I particularly like the Emsworth Saga, beginning with Something Fresh, but he is better known for his Jeeves and Wooster novels. These are just for fun!
Reply 3
Original post by ish_00
1984" by George Orwell: A dystopian novel that explores themes of totalitarianism, surveillance, and the power of language. "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen: A beloved novel that examines social class, love, and the role of women in 19th-century England. "Beloved" by Toni Morrison: A powerful novel that tackles the legacy of slavery and its impact on identity and family bonds.

I've already read 1984, but I definitely will check out Pride and Prejudice and Beloved when I can. Thank you for the recommendations! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Anna Schoon
To add to ish_00's reply:

Never let me go by Kasuo Ishiguro - another dystopian novel in which some human life is reduced to its usefulness.

Any of these novels by Charles Dickens: David Copperfield, Great Expectations, A Tale of Two Cities, Oliver Twist. All brilliant classics.

Howard's End by E.M. Forster : social conventions, class conflict

Scoop by Evelyn Waugh : a short, brilliantly satirical novel about journalism - very topical in today's age of fake news!

Any collection of the short stories by Somerset Maugham, a particular master in the art of writing these.

Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck, an American author. This one's about migrant labour within the US but the theme is universal.

And for the joy of the language and the joy of intricate plots: P.G. Wodehouse. I particularly like the Emsworth Saga, beginning with Something Fresh, but he is better known for his Jeeves and Wooster novels. These are just for fun!

Thank you as well for all the book recommendations! Will certainly give me something to enjoy over the summer. You're the second person to recommend Charles Dickens, so I really should make him one of my first priorities to read. 'Never let me go', 'Scoop' and the 'Emsworth Saga' in particular intrigue me from your list. Grapes of Wrath would be useful to read to look at migration from another perspective.
Reply 5
Original post by .Amii.
I've already read 1984, but I definitely will check out Pride and Prejudice and Beloved when I can. Thank you for the recommendations! :smile:

Maybe it's a typo 🧐

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending