The Student Room Group

Aerospace degree vs degree apprenticeship

Hi,

I’ve currently got the option to study Aerospace Engineering at University of Nottingham or apply to a degree apprenticeship with Airbus or BAE. But Im not sure which is better for my career in the future. The degree apprenticeship is at a worse university, but other than that it looks better. How important is the university you attended for engineering jobs?

If anyone has any experience or knowledge of this that would really help.
Thanks a lot
Original post by Nick.T
Hi,

I’ve currently got the option to study Aerospace Engineering at University of Nottingham or apply to a degree apprenticeship with Airbus or BAE. But Im not sure which is better for my career in the future. The degree apprenticeship is at a worse university, but other than that it looks better. How important is the university you attended for engineering jobs?

Thanks a lot

A degree-apprenticeship is likely to be a better option for a career in industry because you get experience alongside the degree, and industry often values experience more highly than a degree. You go straight in the door with a company )sometimes with a well known brand name like the ones you've listed) so in your final year you're not having to apply to graduate schemes/jobs - which you're not guaranteed to get as they are very competitive. That the degree part isn't typically in conjunction with a high-brand name university isn't important.

However degree-apprenticeships can also be very competitive (probably more competitive than getting into university), so like grad schemes, you're not guaranteed to get a place on one. So it's good to have a place at a university as backup.
Reply 2
Original post by Nick.T
Hi,

Thanks a lot

apprentice
Reply 3
Original post by Smack
A degree-apprenticeship is likely to be a better option for a career in industry because you get experience alongside the degree, and industry often values experience more highly than a degree. You go straight in the door with a company )sometimes with a well known brand name like the ones you've listed) so in your final year you're not having to apply to graduate schemes/jobs - which you're not guaranteed to get as they are very competitive. That the degree part isn't typically in conjunction with a high-brand name university isn't important.

However degree-apprenticeships can also be very competitive (probably more competitive than getting into university), so like grad schemes, you're not guaranteed to get a place on one. So it's good to have a place at a university as backup.

Thanks so much this has really helped 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending