The Student Room Group

Jobs

What job is better a detective or a solicitor?
Original post by Fghujjjjnb

When people ask bland questions about what's better, I often get the impression that they don't actually care about the job and they are just in it for the money.
Also, it's incredibly egocentric to assume that people know what you're on about and what your values and context are. For example, my definition for a better job might include absolutely nothing about money and everything about stimulation and interest. Your definition might be solely about money.
You have included absolutely nothing about yourself. Those 2 jobs require specific personality traits and they tend to suit some people a lot more than others. We have zero information on you. Not everyone would be able to do the above jobs unfortunately, and having the right qualifications alone might not be enough.

Becoming a detective or a solicitor would both be very competitive, so even if you tick every box you still might not get in.

Exactly how much research have you done on both career paths?

If you can include very specific information and a lot more detail about your background, then we can provide you with a better response. At the moment, we can say very very little (if anything).
Original post by Fghujjjjnb

Hi @Fghujjjjnb

I don't think there really is an answer to this question. It all depends on you as a person and your interests. I cannot speak much on behalf of Detectives but being a solicitor requires analysing cases to understand their strengths and weaknesses, forming strong working relationships with clients and tackling often complex legal issues. Often solicitors spend a relative amount of time at a desk or in an office at their firm but do also go and see clients sometimes elsewhere such as prisons if they are criminal practitioners. I would look into the careers in more depth and see if you can gain any experience in either field as this is the only way you will truly be able to understand which suits you better 🙂

I hope this helps and good luck!

Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending