The Student Room Group

what is shadowing?

Hi I'm an international applicant who apply for pharmacy! what is shadowing exactly? Should I work for the profession? Can I say that I shadowed by interviewing them and observing them what they do in their workplace?
Reply 1
For MPharm applications you dont actually need any 'pharmacy experience' to make a successful application.
You do need some awareness of what a UK Pharmacist does :
Community pharmacist job profile | Prospects.ac.uk
Hospital pharmacist job profile | Prospects.ac.uk
Choosing between Pharmacy and Pharmacology (bath.ac.uk)
and talking to a working Pharmacist might help you understand if you really do want to do the job, and give you some examples to show your awareness of the job and current 'issues' in Pharmacy for your PS.
Original post by McGinger
For MPharm applications you dont actually need any 'pharmacy experience' to make a successful application.
You do need some awareness of what a UK Pharmacist does :
Community pharmacist job profile | Prospects.ac.uk
Hospital pharmacist job profile | Prospects.ac.uk
Choosing between Pharmacy and Pharmacology (bath.ac.uk)
and talking to a working Pharmacist might help you understand if you really do want to do the job, and give you some examples to show your awareness of the job and current 'issues' in Pharmacy for your PS.

thank you for the reply😭 This is really helpful👍 I have one more question... what would be current issues in pharmacy nowadays? I don't know where should I start..
Reply 3
Partly as a result of the role pharmacists played during covid as literally frontline healthcare workers. but also long-overdue reform / developments, by the time you graduate all of this will be part of the job - A prescribing service for England's pharmacies: everything you need to know - The Pharmaceutical Journal (pharmaceutical-journal.com)
Original post by teaaa
Hi I'm an international applicant who apply for pharmacy! what is shadowing exactly? Should I work for the profession? Can I say that I shadowed by interviewing them and observing them what they do in their workplace?

@teaaa

Shadowing is observing someone doing their job, with the chance to ask questions to find out more about what they do and why. For example, if you are observing them with a patient and the patient was upset about something, then after the patient had left you might ask them questions about how to handle disagreements with patients, so that you gain experience about what it's like to be in that position and how to handle it.

Shadowing gives you the chance to see what it would be like to do a particular job, by basically following someone round, i.e. being their "shadow". It is something that is often advised to help prospective students see if they really do want to pursue a particular career, as it gives a person a chance to see what it's like to day-to-day and to talk with a professional.
The prospective student normally has to find someone to shadow. This can be for a day or longer.

I did this before my podiatry degree and found it really useful. I was able to observe a podiatrist with patients, talk to patients about their experiences and get an idea of what it was like to work as a health professional. They were able to answer so many questions, in addition to recommending books and giving advice. It was time well spent!

Hope that helps,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending