The Student Room Group

Shadowing a Solicitor

Hi, I am a Year 12 student looking to shadow a solicitor to gain further experience and knowledge about the career. I aspire to be a corporate lawyer, so it would be helpful if someone could let me know of opportunities to shadow a solicitor in London!
Original post by yeonwari
Hi, I am a Year 12 student looking to shadow a solicitor to gain further experience and knowledge about the career. I aspire to be a corporate lawyer, so it would be helpful if someone could let me know of opportunities to shadow a solicitor in London!

Hi @yeonwari

Firstly, well done for getting ahead of the game and searching for experience so early on! I would recommend looking at different firms and their websites if you haven't already to see if they have any programmes set up to allow sixth form/ college students to shadow their solicitors. If they do not, then I would send an email to the firm explaining your interest and asking if it would be possible for you to spend a day with someone. When it comes to getting legal experience, the phrase "don't ask, don't get" very much applies.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Sophie 🙂
Reply 2
Original post by UniofLaw Student
Hi @yeonwari

Firstly, well done for getting ahead of the game and searching for experience so early on! I would recommend looking at different firms and their websites if you haven't already to see if they have any programmes set up to allow sixth form/ college students to shadow their solicitors. If they do not, then I would send an email to the firm explaining your interest and asking if it would be possible for you to spend a day with someone. When it comes to getting legal experience, the phrase "don't ask, don't get" very much applies.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Sophie 🙂

Thank you so much for the reply! I will remember the phrase and message a few law firms asap! Is there anything that universities tend to prefer or look for in an undergraduate law admission, such as certain extracurriculars or super-curriculars?
(edited 3 months ago)
Thank you so much for the reply! I will remember the phrase and message a few law firms asap! Is there anything that universities tend to prefer or look for in an undergraduate law admission, such as certain extracurriculars or super-curriculars?

Hi @yeonwari,

There isn't really a singular mould that works for all firms unfortunately! All you need to show, no matter how you do it, that you have those key skills such as an ability to work under pressure, an ability to be organised, an ability to be confident in challenging situations, an ability to understand complex issues etc. Perhaps, you have played in a sport team, performed in music or been a key part of a debating event? Basically it doesn't matter if none of these particular examples fit you as long as you look at your interests and experiences and work out what skills you can draw from them. I would recommend mind-mapping the skills each experience you have required and go from there!

Good luck 🙂

Sophie

Search Firms Results - PRIME (primecommitment.co.uk)
Reply 5
Hey!

There are law firms such as Burgess Salmon and Eversheds Sutherland, which offer work experience to Y12 students. I could also recommend sending your resume to high street firms and ask if they are willing to take you on for a couple of days/weeks. Another good option is to ask family frineds or friends who know a solicitor if you could shadow them for a bit to gain experience. If you decide to apply to law firms, one tip is to research them very well and argue why the work that they are doing is appealing to you. I could recommend Commercial Law Academy's "law firm profiles and research" case to find out more about the firms that I mentioned above but also other firms that offer work experience to Y12 students.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending