The Student Room Group

Optometry work experience HELP!

So I’m worried I don’t have enough work experience to apply to optometry. Basically I’ve got:
- two days of consultant shadowing at the hospital
-volunteering once a week at the children’s ward at the hospital.
-shadowing an optometrist at an orthoptic ward.

Should I try and get some work experience at spec savers or something? Or would that be enough?
Original post by Stressedoutxxx
So I’m worried I don’t have enough work experience to apply to optometry. Basically I’ve got:

Should I try and get some work experience at spec savers or something? Or would that be enough?

A bit of more commercial work experience may be helpful to your application.

Generally the thing that matters is how you write about your work experience in your PS. You can have a great portfolio of experience but if you don't talk about it, what you gained from it, how you are taking the experience further (i.e. what you did as a result of it) then it isn't really helpful.
Reply 2
Original post by Charlotte's Web
A bit of more commercial work experience may be helpful to your application.

Generally the thing that matters is how you write about your work experience in your PS. You can have a great portfolio of experience but if you dontalk about it, what you gained from it, how you are taking the experience further (i.e. what you did as a result of it) then it isn't really helpful.

I'm not sure how many days or months work experience is required.im in Year 12 notnsure where to start.pleass help
Original post by Kaz2103
I'm not sure how many days or months work experience is required.im in Year 12 notnsure where to start.pleass help

The uni don’t usually have a required amount of work experience. Just that you can explain what you saw and how it impacts why you want to be an optometrist
Reply 4
Yes but on your personal statement you mention you did work experience but how long should I do it for? I don't want to waste every Sunday working from 10 till 4pm unnecessarily that's all
Original post by Kaz2103
Yes but on your personal statement you mention you did work experience but how long should I do it for? I don't want to waste every Sunday working from 10 till 4pm unnecessarily that's all

You’ve got hospital work experience which is really good as it is super hard to get. I would say get a least a week work experience in a opticians in the community like specsavers
Reply 6

Should I try and get some work expherience at spec savers or something? Or would that be enough?

Hi can you tell me how you got the work shadowing work experience at the hospital?

Which hospital did you apply?
Did you write or phone them?
Reply 7

Do you call the hospital direct to ask for work shadowing?
Reply 8
Original post by Kaz2103
Do you call the hospital direct to ask for work shadowing?

Are you in Year 13?

How did you find the place for work shadowing in hospital?

Quick Reply

Latest