The Student Room Group

Seeking College Membership/ Cambridge PhD

Hi, I applied for my PhD at Cambridge and got my conditional offer from the postgraduates office. However since December 12th, my status says "Seeking College Membership". The status had not been updated since the day I got the conditional offer. Is this concerning or have I been rejected from my preferred colleges?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I applied for my PhD at Cambridge and got my conditional offer from the postgraduates office. However since December 12th, my status says "Seeking College Membership". The status had not been updated since the day I got the conditional offer. Is this concerning or have I been rejected from my preferred colleges?

Term finished about then. Academics who make these decisions may not be back until the middle of January, and this may not be the first meeting they have scheduled.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift

Term finished about then. Academics who make these decisions may not be back until the middle of January, and this may not be the first meeting they have scheduled.

I don't get what you're trying to imply. So which means it could take much longer than the roughly predicted 3 weeks am I right? I applied to Christs as my first choice, so I assume it could take much longer than usual? In your opinion, roughly how long might I have to stay? Thanks!
Original post by Anonymous
I don't get what you're trying to imply. So which means it could take much longer than the roughly predicted 3 weeks am I right? I applied to Christs as my first choice, so I assume it could take much longer than usual? In your opinion, roughly how long might I have to stay? Thanks!

I'm saying you should expect nothing to happen mid Dec to mid Jan.

From experience, the dates provided in the admissions webpages are complete nonsense and bear no relation to real life. This is especially the case in College admission decisions. The Colleges are each individual institutions and the prime way they can show their individuality and independence is by following their own internal admission process for PG applicants.

There is simply no way of anyone knowing what the timeline for Christs admissions might be without knowing what their routine process is, what their disposition around Christmas is, how many offers they have already made, in what subjects and what the leave/work schedule of individual decision makers is.
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift

I'm saying you should expect nothing to happen mid Dec to mid Jan.

From experience, the dates provided in the admissions webpages are complete nonsense and bear no relation to real life. This is especially the case in College admission decisions. The Colleges are each individual institutions and the prime way they can show their individuality and independence is by following their own internal admission process for PG applicants.

There is simply no way of anyone knowing what the timeline for Christs admissions might be without knowing what their routine process is, what their disposition around Christmas is, how many offers they have already made, in what subjects and what the leave/work schedule of individual decision makers is.

That was very informative! Thank you so much. Will drop a question here if I have any in the future.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending