The Student Room Group

Part 1 Architectural Assistant

I recently completed my BA (Hons) in Architecture and am currently in the process of applying for Part 1 Architectural Assistant roles. However, I'm encountering challenges in securing interviews or even receiving responses from the companies I've applied to. Despite having my portfolio and CV reviewed, and receiving positive feedback on their appropriateness, I'm struggling to make headway. My cover letter is robust, highlighting my skill set, work experience, and genuine interest in the firms I'm pursuing.

I believe the difficulty lies in the perception that employers may not actively seek Part 1s due to the associated costs and resources required for their recruitment and training. Additionally, there might be concern that Part 1s may not contribute significantly to the company, considering the common practice of them pursuing further education, such as master's degrees, after a year of employment.

I am seeking advice on how to navigate this challenge and improve my chances of successfully securing a Part 1 Architectural Assistant role. Any suggestions or insights would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by chris.savidge
I recently completed my BA (Hons) in Architecture and am currently in the process of applying for Part 1 Architectural Assistant roles. However, I'm encountering challenges in securing interviews or even receiving responses from the companies I've applied to. Despite having my portfolio and CV reviewed, and receiving positive feedback on their appropriateness, I'm struggling to make headway. My cover letter is robust, highlighting my skill set, work experience, and genuine interest in the firms I'm pursuing.

I believe the difficulty lies in the perception that employers may not actively seek Part 1s due to the associated costs and resources required for their recruitment and training. Additionally, there might be concern that Part 1s may not contribute significantly to the company, considering the common practice of them pursuing further education, such as master's degrees, after a year of employment.

I am seeking advice on how to navigate this challenge and improve my chances of successfully securing a Part 1 Architectural Assistant role. Any suggestions or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunatelly, I am struggling with the same problem. Hundreds of sent CVs and barely any response, even though everyone says I have a good portfolio. The problem is thousands of applicants and not many jobs advertised ☹️ I am looking for some good advices as well..
Reply 2
Try emailing your tutors from university and ask if they know of anywhere that might be recruiting. A lot of positions aren't advertised on the 'usual' job boards, so you may be able to find a position with less applicants (and thus higher chance of interview). I got a couple of interviews this way, whereas I barely received any responses through the standard 'email portfolio, CV, cover letter' approach. Alternatively, you could try applying for a job through recruiters, which may also improve your chances of getting to interview. Trouble is (apparently) a lot of firms are short of work at the moment, and thus they don't have the workload or budget to keep Part 1s occupied and trained.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending